Skip to content
6 months off B.C and still trying
LisaMarrie posted:
Hi My name is Lisa and i guess ill start from the beginning. Me and my fiance have been talking about having a baby for over a year now and we finally decided to go off birth control in July. My cycle has been very random since then. They were as followed; 24 days-2 day period, 30 days-5 day period, 38 days-3 day period, 33 days- 5 day period and i'm in the middle of my 5th cycle where my period lasted 9 days and am now bleeding again when it had just ended 10 days ago. The bleeding hasn't been much but more then a few drops but i would say less then a teaspoon a day and this has been happening for about three days. It started out bright pink in color and is now more brown. I'm wondering if any one else has had any problems like this or if these random cycles are normal for someone just getting off B.C. I should also mention that i did take an ovulation test between my 3rd and 4th cycle and nothing show up on the tests. I was also on B.C. for about 5 years. Thanks for taking the time to read my problem and hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Lisa

mrs62610 responded:
I was in a similar boat as you. My periods were very wacky after b/c.
Here is my story:
I stopped taking b/c in March 2011 and had no period for almost 3 months, then my dr put me on Provera for 10 days and I had a period then didn't have one on my own for almost 2 months. My dr then prescribed Prometrium for 10 days every month for 3 months. (July/Aug/Sept) Still didn't have a period on my own after that. I did the ovulation tests and never had a true positive. So, I went back to my dr in November and told her I did not believe I was ovulating and I had not had AF since September. I also had to remind her that we are TTC because she seemed to have forgotten! She agreed that I probably was not ovulating and prescribed Clomid and more Prometrium to get me started. (Pun intended, lol) I start Clomid tomorrow!

Jen

LisaMarrie replied to mrs62610's response:
Thanx for your response and I hope everything works out for you. I defiantly knows its tough TTC. It makes it even harder when I see so many people I know that are either pregnant right now or recently just had a baby and none of them were even trying and half of them were on bc and don't get me wrong I'm so happy for everyone of them I think it just makes things that much harder. nobody knows that we are trying to have a baby and it seems every time we get together with our family they are asking when we are going to have a baby which again makes things hard. But I'm pretty sure I bed to get into the doctors because I'm still bleeding a little bit everyday and I only finished my period 11 days ago and I've been bleeding for about 4 days now. So I guess we will see what happens. Thanks again for sharing with me I appreciate it a lot. It helps a bit to know that someone is have issues after going of bc. Again I hope everything works out.

Thanx, Lisa

mrs62610 replied to LisaMarrie's response:
No problem! Let me know how your appt goes! I felt much better when I finally saw my dr and explained everything.

I've thought the same thing about it seeming like everyone I know expecting or just had a child. It is very frustrating. My sister-in-law had a baby January 2011 and she told is in mid-October that they are expecting their 2nd. Oh and she was on b/c after the 1st and got pregnant the 1st cycle off! She knows we are TTC but she doesn't really understand how upsetting it is. The longest they tried with their 1st was 6-7 months.

Anyway, again, come back and keep me posted!

Jen
Me-24 DH-37 TTC 1 for 9 months. Start 1st round of Clomid 12/29!

I haven't made a Dr. app. yet i will be doing that today.(i think i'm just a LITTLE nevus to find out whats going on. There is just so much running through my head. Just to up date you though I've been feeling sick in the mornings about an hour or two after I wake up. Eating seems to help. This has been going on for about 4-5 days now and then today I'm getting some sharp cramping on my left side. Also yesterday and so far today have been the only days i haven't bled, not sure whats going on but i guess I'll find out.

How has the Clomid been working for you? Have you noticed any changes yet? I'm not to sure what this drug actually entails but i hope it's just the thing you need to get you "started" (...lol)

I too find that a lot of people don't understand how hard it can be on some people and how upsetting it is to know that you've tried and still nothing when it seems so easy for everyone else.

Thanks,
Lisa

I understand about you feeling nervous, I was nervous too when I told my dr about my issues. I was wondering what kind of tests i would have to go through and if they would be painful, etc. My dr did an u/s to see if there was anything visibly wrong with my "equipment" and that wasn't bad. She also did some bloodwork to check some of my hormone levels and they were fine. (I have a history of my thyroid hormone level changing up and down)

The Clomid is supposed to make me ovulate. I take my last pill tonight and I SHOULD ovulate 5-10 days after. I haven't noticed too much yet. I do have headaches off and on with it and I have ALOT more cm than I have seen lately. (Which is odd because I thought Clomid made you more dry, but moving on....)

I'm sure your dr will find nothing wrong and the abnormal bleeding is just from the b/c. I say this because it just sounds so much like my trouble.

Good luck and let me know what you find out!

Jen

Well i have figured out what has been going on this past month and i have wonderful new I'm pregnant!!! I'm going for a doctors appointment next wed the 25 to confirm everything. I wish the best of luck to you and your husband keep your hopes up!! Keep me posted!!!

Thanks for all your help!!

Lisa

That's wonderful!!! Congrats!! H&H 9 months!!!

I ovulated last week! I think I'm 4-5 DPO so I will probably test next Wednesday the 25th. Fingers crossed!

amj2188 replied to LisaMarrie's response:
well this gives me hope b/c i have been ahavin alot of the same issues with the irregular periods after bc. i was on the depo for six years an decided i wanted to concieve. when i got off in march of 2010 i dint have a period for like 8 months. when i did finally start i bled for eighteen days straight. they put me on the pill to stop the bleedin an told me after a couple months or reggular periods we would stop an let mother nature do her thing. well no such luck after a few normal cycles we stopped the pills an havent been able to get regular. i have a "normal" 5 day period back the beginning of sept. then nothing in oct. a two day in nov. an now nothing in dec or jan. going to take a test in a couple days to make sure( fingers crosses) but really wondering how long before i should demand a fertility test.

Jersey_mama replied to mrs62610's response:
Did the Clomid work for you??? I used Clomid with my first child because I wasn't ovulating. It worked in the first month! Now we are TTC again and I'm thinking of going back to Clomid. We've been TTC for 6 months and I am not getting a positive OPK. I'm thinking I'm probably not ovulating, but I was hoping it would just happen this time...

mrs62610 replied to Jersey_mama's response:
I ovulated my first round but did not get pregnant. I'm on my second round and my dr upped my dose to 100mg CD5-9. I just got my positive opk last night, so I should O sometime today or tomorrow. (Most likely tomorrow, last time I got 2 days of positive opk's) I will start my 2ww tomorrow or Sunday! We added PreSeed this month because I looked up reviews for it and many people said it worked the 1st or 2nd month! Fingers crossed!

It's annoying that we can't just will our bodies into doing what we want! Let me know if you decide to go the Clomid route! KMP!
Me-24 DH-37 TTC 1 for 9 months. 1st round of Clomid 12/29. Start 2nd round Feb 1st.

tinktried replied to Jersey_mama's response:
hi i am new to this site and i am not sure what i am really suppossed to say or any thing but like my fiance and i have been trying for 6-7mnth now and nothin my dr has told me to try maternity heath multi vitamins with folic acid i got off my b.c about 8mnths ago and still nothing should i speak to another dr. about my problem?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (27), DH (28) TTC #2 since 12/09. I have one DD(4 in August) and one Stepson(5 in July). On my first round of Metformin. Provera, Clomid! Hoping th...More

Helpful Tips

How OLOLO SPELLS Save My Broken Heart Of Marriage.
I know most of you don't believe in anything at all and yes you have the right so this is mostly for those who want to get their spouse ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.