Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
what prolactin level demands an mri???
ticktockteacher posted:
I am 42 and have been ttc for about 10 months now. my periods are regular, however it looks as if i may not be ovulating. i have had blood work to check my hormone levels. my prolactin was slightly elevated twice (mid 50s). my obgyn referred me to an endocrinologist and he wants me to have an mri before prescribing medicine to lower the level and increase ovulation. is this routine procedure for this situation? or should i get a 2nd opinion? appointment coming up in 2 weeks!!! feedback please!!!

jhetsmom responded:
Prolactin levels can be increased for a few reasons. #1 is postpartum milk production. Its is a necessary hormone to establish and maintain milk in lactating women. #2 is an overactive pituitary gland. Women with active hormone imbalances can lead to other hormone imbalances such as prolactin increases. This can be caused by a missed miscarriage, prescription meds, and other medical conditions. # 3 is a little scarier and can usually only be diagnosed through MRI. Tumors can cause the pituitary to become unwarrantedly active. Its usually diagnosed through subjective symptoms leading the DR to request an image of the pituitary gland to rule out a tumor. Most tumors on the pituitary are benign but cause a malfunction. The DR just wants to rule out an possible medical conditions. Be thankful you have a proactive Dr. Many Dr will try to medicate without ruling out other possibilities.

ticktockteacher replied to jhetsmom's response:
thank you. I have been doing my own research as well. and true it is better to rule out other possibilities. thanks for the perspective!
i needed that!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! My name is Jess and DH and I have been TTC #1 since May 2009. I had a very early MC in September. We're crossing our fingers and toes for a st...More

Helpful Tips

This made my day!
Ok ladies, I was doing a little lurking today while I should have been working and I found something that I thought would be helpful. If ... More
Was this Helpful?
12 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.