Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I be worried yet?
vybe77 posted:
Ok so you ladies know my story, 2nd m/c this past March..but I am now wondering if I should be worried yet or if this is still normal..
1st I have a question: Does a m/c count from the day you start to spot or from the day you actually pass the pregnancy?
If we count from the day I started to spot (02/22) then it has been 7w4d since..if we count from the day I passed the pregnancy (03/07) then it has been 5w4d since..is that normal or should I consider that I am late? For my 1st m/c I started spotting on 07/31 and passed the pregnancy on 08/05..1st cycle came on 09/08 so 4w6d later...
About 2 weeks ago I used an OPK to see if it would again be positive (as it was while I was pregnant) and thankfully it was not..last weekend I bought a double box of FRER's and with a 4 day interval between each test I got 2 BFN'S..so I know that I am not pregnant and I also know that this means that my HCG has gone back to normal from the failed pregnancy..so what is keeping my cycle from starting?
When Dr's say 6-8 weeks before you usually get a cycle again does that mean from day of spotting or from day of D&C (or natural m/c)?
Lastly when should I be worried enough to go see the OB again?
Thx in advance for responses..
Mom of 4 hopes to have 1 more

Northern_Girl responded:
The date of my miscarriage was actually the day the baby stopped growing. And I had the D&C about one month later.

My cycle didn't correct for about 6 weeks after the D&C.

I hope that helps, and if I felt like I needed to see the OB, then I would go.
BFP November 10, 2011. M/C December 19, 2011.

MrsTang responded:
Hello there, please accept my sympathy on your loss. It sucks.
I would consider the first day of spotting to be how long since, for a miscarriage. (For a normal cycle, it's the first day of bright red blood, but for a miscarriage, the spotting is just the bleeding getting started, and yes, you CAN spot during a pregnancy and go on to have a healthy baby, my DD is proof of that) but just based on the fact that is WAS a miscarriage, the spotting is just the bleeding getting started, and there was more than likely no heartbeat when the spotting started, so that's why I say to count it.

If I were you, I'd call the OB to ask their opinion, and take another test to see if you are pregnant. It could be very possible that you are not ovulating yet since the last loss. You may need meds to get things jump started, or just keep waiting. That is a personal choice.

I'm sorry, I'm new and don't know your history...How far along were you when you miscarried? That could also have some bearing...My doc says that generally speaking, you should allow yourself for however long you were pregnant for to be your "recovery" time...So if you were 8 weeks, give yourself 8 weeks. If you were 11 weeks, give yourself 11 weeks, etc.
Erinn 27, DH (John) 28, DD (Gia) born 3/6/08: emergency induction at 33 weeks/severe preeclampsia. Losses in 5/06 and 6/09...Currently TTC2. Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/MrsTang

MelBrody responded:
Vicky, nailing the math down on that does seem hard. When I had my d&c I just know there was no heartbeat and the sac had stopped growing the week before. So since I didn't have a natural mc I am not sure where to start counting. I agree with ms tang you should call the last OB you saw and see what they say about it. Also, I know I was told it can take 4-12 weeks for your period to start. I hope you get some answers soon so you can get back trying.
Me(28) Hubby(27) M/C due to Blighted ovum October 11.
TTC 1st baby.

ani05 responded:
Vicky that does sound very confusing.I will tell you about my experience and you can judge yourself.
I started spotting on a wednesday and when I went in (the same day) for the check up everything looked good,cervix closed,hcg levels were good and the ultrasound showed that there was nothing wrong with the pregnancy.Personally I wouldn't call that day the first day of the m/c.Friday morning I woke up and went to the bathroom and that's when I started passing tissue(sorry tmi),so confirmed by my Dr. friday was the first day of my m/c.It took 11 weeks (from that friday) for AF to show up but you have to consider that I always had long cycles. Hopefully that helps Vicky
Ani(30),DH(30),DD(5).BFP on 03/02/2011,M/C on 03/11/2011.BFP on 04/12/2012.Praying for a sticky baby.

TeacherBeck responded:
First I want to say (((hugs))) and I am so sorry all over again for your loss

May be a lot of TRIGGS ahead

My experience (TRIGGS) was I went in at 20 wks for a regular u/s and found his HB had stopped... doctor said probably about a week before... I went in the hossy at 20wks2days and he was born that day and I had a D&C for leftover placenta tissue really late that night. For counting purposes, I counted from the day he was born(so the day the baby was passed).
I say that b/c I would see any spotting as "leading up" to the m/c but still part of that pregnancy, however once your body passes the baby, then your body is moving toward healing and towards a new cycle, so you have had 5wks4days "healing time" since your m/c.
All of that is just opinion, of course, and my way of understanding it.

As far as seeing your OB, I would call them the minute the waiting window they gave me was over (so 8 wks?) or if there was any sign something wasn't right (pain, fever, just not feeling right).
If I felt unsure about what they meant by the given timeframe, I would call and ask. I used to be afraid to call, but not after being on this board I am sure their office has gotten all kinds of calls for much less important things than what you are going through!! (((hugs))
Becky(31) DH(38); 1 furbaby: Clark Kent

TRIGGS: After 1yr TTC bfp april '09 lost @ 20wks precious Jackson 8-06-09
TTCAL grad, sweet Juliet born 12-10-10 Praise God!

Prayforamiracle responded:
Its hard to say what to mark as cycle day one. I know with my loss I didn't count the spotting right then as cycle day #1, because I didn't know what was happening. Once I did, I can't remember if I went back and changed it or not. I know you are anxious to get started, but I don't think you need to be concerned that something is wrong. I think your body is probably still adjusting. Hopefully, it will not be too much longer. Hugs.
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)Dh(44)TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in miscarriage in 7/07. Dealing with MFI. Anovulatory and irregular cycles due to PCOS. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

Helpful Tips

Peeing on Dandelion leaves to determine PG... Seriously.. read this :)
[blockquote> [blockquote> [blockquote> Found this online at http://www.peeonastick.com/hptfaq.html I read ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 24 found this helpful