Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
OPKs ? SMEP ?
babyj1017 posted:
Anyone here use OPKs? Anyone also know what SMEP is? I came across this "plan" on baby center and we're giving it a shot this month. In a nutshell, the plan is to BD every other day starting CD 8 (we started CD 6 ). On CD 10 start test with OPKs and when you get a +, BD for three days, rest on the 4th then BD once more.

Seems as good a plan as any, and since I've been facing some anxiety around timing and ovulation, I'm hoping having a plan might settle me down a bit.

So, here's my question... I bought a 10 pack of the Clear Blue Easy digital OPKs. Tomorrow is CD 10 and I will starte testing. Supposedly they should indiciate High Fertile days and Peak Fertile days. So, what would count as a positive to start the three day BD -a-thon? The first positive or the peak positive?

Maybe I should have bought the cheapie, non digitals. Or my plan is backfiring and now I'm going to create more anxiety??
Jenny (31), DH (34), DD (7/2006), DS (6/2008), m/c (6/2012), m/c (9/2012)

vybe77 responded:
The plan with OPKs is supposed to be to make it all easier to conceive and take the stress out of guessing when to BD but the thing is that sometimes a plan (as you say) can make things even more stressful..I tried OPKs for about 6 months and I don't anymore because I kept stressing myself out when I didn't see a positive and I'd be getting later in my cycle (like CDs 18 and up).. but with that being said you did buy the digital OPKs (which are supposed to be the best and are recommended by most OBs) so that in itself should help and every woman is different..maybe having a plan and doing the OPKs will help settle you into a routine..
Plus your digital OPKs are supposed to be fool proof..a smiley when it's positive and then you're absolutely sure..all I can say is try not to focus too much on the task at hand (ha!) and just enjoy your time with your hubby and keep your fingers crossed...
I sure hope this cycle becomes magical for you Jenny
KUP
Let life be a journey of love
Emily, Kody, Maxim xo

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I am currently not ttc but I am lurking . I used opk's for 5.5 months before getting pregnant with my son. I bought the cheapies and I tested twice a day. My friend tracie is using the first response digital opks but I don't overly recommend those digi's because as soon as you get your first positive it shuts off and you can no longer use it. I have read good things about the clear blue digi's though. For me due to some issues with the bc I was on I had the implanon removed a week ago on tuesday. Because I have PCOS my cycles are very odd. Because I am sensitive to hormones the decision was made to do NFP. When i was ttc I was very thorough in tracking my cycles and I will pretty much do the exact same thing. My provider thinks this would be best for my body esp when I am looking at ttc within 6-12 months.With that said I will be starting opks again as soon as AF arrives (whenever that may be....I am on CD159...haven't had a cycle since october 14th). Generally with OPK's they tell you to stop testing as soon as you get your first positive and that you will ovulate 24-48 hours (some say up to 72 hours and some say within 24 hours, just depends on what the box says on that part). The one you got does it do the smiley faces or tell you a number? have you ever heard of the fertility friend site? This is a good site to log things and had good information as well. I did the free stuff till the 4th month when I bought it on a special on FB for $16 for the year where I could get more information and tracking tools but the basic works just as well. My OB also reccommended BD'ing every other day or at minimum every three days regardless of the cycle day. I wish you the best of luck.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25)PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11. EDD 4/17/12. PAL Baby Carson Lee born 3/31/12

hgreenwood7058 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Also, be sure that you don't over drink fluids before peeing because you can get a fa;se negative if your urine is too diluted. There was something else I was going to mention but I don't remember now because I am blonde ... (at heart at least)..and I need to update my sig apparently as well.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25)PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11. EDD 4/17/12. PAL Baby Carson Lee born 3/31/12

babyj1017 replied to hgreenwood7058's response:
Thanks for the advice ladies!! So far so good (though today was the first day I've tested), right now I'm feeling pretty positive and less anxious... Be sure to remind me that I said that in about a week, lol

Heather - I bought the Clear Blue Easy... supposed to give me a happy little smiley face at peak fertility and a smiley with lines around (or maybe that means it will flash, idk?) it at high. I believe it says ovulation will occur within 48 hours of the peak smiley. Says to continue testing until I get a peak result.

TTC should really be less complicated

Thanks again for the well-wishes. Really hoping this is my month.
Jenny (32), DH (35), DD (7/2006), DS (6/2008), m/c (6/2012), m/c (9/2012)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Discovered we were expecting shortly after my birthday. What a pleasant surprise. This was the first time ever, we were sooo excited! We almost made t...More

Helpful Tips

Get our Smiley's Back!
I have noticed that you can get some of the smiley's to work... they don't when viewing the whole board, but when you click on the ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.