Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ovulation?
takb3721 posted:
I recently bought some Ovulation predictor kits and took it later in the day on a Thursday and it was negative. My husband and I had sex that night. On Friday morning I took another test and it came back positive and the same with Saturday. Do you think that if I ovulated Friday or Saturday that I have a chance of getting pregnant from Thursday night's sex?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

TKO120107 responded:
You most certainly do! One of the neat things your cervix does is release the sperm over several days so you can absolutely get pregnant if you ovulate a few days after having sex. In fact, people trying for a girl will try to BD at least 3 days prior to ovulation to give those slower girl sperm a better chance.

Good luck!

takb3721 replied to TKO120107's response:
Do you know more about the ovulation kits? If you get a positive line are you ovulating at that specific time or is it days later?

TKO120107 replied to takb3721's response:
You get the positive AFTER you ovulate. There's a surge in a certain hormone (I think it's a hormone anyway) after you ovulate which is what gives the positive test. That is also why you can see positive for several days.

So you probably actually ovulated Thursday ...

blueeyebaby replied to TKO120107's response:
Actually by testing the levels of leutinizing hormone (LH) in your urine, the OPK can tell you when you're undergoing the surge in LH levels that precedes ovulation by 12 to 36 hours. So you get the positive OPK and then after that you ovulate but yes you can still get preg. Sperm last up to 72 hours.

vybe77 replied to blueeyebaby's response:
The last post is right takb3721..the opk will measure for the hormone LH (luthenizing hormone) which happens first and then within a day or two of getting your positive you should expect to ovulate..it is also possible to ovulate on the same day as a positive opk..I spoke with an online rep from an opk company who told me that once you see your first positive opk you can expect ovulation within 1-2 days..she also specified that once you LH starts to diminish is when your egg starts to exit..
I started using them this month too and I got a negatives until CD17..on CD18 in the am I got a positive and then another positive in the pm..the next day (CD19) in the am it was back to negative again..
My fiance and I did our thing on CDs 17 (day before positive opk), CD 18 (day of positive opk) and CD19 (day after positive and 1st day back to negative opk, also day I might have ovulated)
What do you think my chances are??
Am now on CD25 and am not holding very much hope, I have no symptoms

takb3721 replied to vybe77's response:
With my first I didn't have ANY symptoms whatsoever, so don't lose hope!
Another question...what OPK did you use? I want to try them since my period is so irregular and want to use a decent one...here's to hoping and praying for all of us

vybe77 replied to takb3721's response:
I ordered from Early Pregnancy test.com and here is the link to reach them.. http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pregnancytests.html?gclid=CPjsx_C0_K0CFeEDQAod3neOsw

They have great deals and you can buy in bulk and so they end up costing you cheaper that way..you can choose from the midstream format (the same as the ones you buy in store) or the strip format (which are cheaper than the midstream)..I bought the strip format and they work well..got a positive the first month I used them..
How long have you been TTC?

vybe77 replied to vybe77's response:
Also once you visit the site make sure to click on the conception packs to check out the great deals they have on opks preggo tests in one combo pack..super neat site to order from and they ship fast and discretely..

Great! Thank you for the website info We've been TTC for about 3 months and I know that's not long but my first was a surprise and never thought it would take planning! How about you?

Well I unfortunately have to be honest with myself and admit that its always taken me a little longer than most women to conceive..I decided to have my first I was 20..my dad was dying of cancer and I naively thought I would have time to give him a grandchild before he passed..it took me a little over a year to conceive, while he passed only a few months after I had decided to start trying...that is young to be having problems conceiving..I gave birth to my daughter I was 22 in dec.'99..my 2nd came along as a surprise..my 1st was 2? and I didnt even know I was preggo til I was 9 weeks along..I'd had no symptoms at all..I gave birth to my son I was 25 on July '02...my third I again got preggo by surpise, by now I was in my 30s and was with a new guy and we didnt think we wanted anymore because our family consists of his and mine mixed together..when we found out we were pregnant we had been together for 5 years and this w/o protection so you can imagine our surprise when we got our BFP..I gave birth to our son I was 31 in Oct. '08..our son is 3 today and we would like just one more but we've been loosely trying for about a 2 years.. some months we dont try (like dec.) cause I'll want to be allowed a drink at a party or a social gathering so we cant really consider it 2 full years of trying but since my 30s have started Ive gotten pregnant on average of once a year so Im hoping this year will be the lucky year where I dont miscarry and carry to term..what about you whats your story?
Also sorry for the long post..I talk too much lol

No worries...I LOVE to talk too! That is a great story...you sound so busy!!! I had my daughter a couple months after I got out of high school so she obviously was a surprise!!! She turned 9 in October. My husband and I have been together 5 years and married a yr and a half and have been TTC for 3 months. I had been on bc for 6 years and just went off in October so my periods are irregular...35-38 day cycles. It's just so odd at the thought of trying when my first was such a surprise but all in due time I tell myself. I bought a 20 day ovulation predictor kit in hopes that I won't miss the right time this month because it's so hard to pinpoint when my cycles are so long. Anyway, I am so ready for another baby but I laugh at myself because it's been 10 years and you forget so much

Did you order your opks from the site? If so did you get the midstream or the strip format..
Some news for you..I tested positive for pregnancy yesterday!! So weird too because I have no symptoms at all..I was expecting af around CD 30-35 this month (I also am irregular, between 25-35 day cycles) so I was surprised and bummed out that I started spotting last friday..beginning of the weekend and my af was starting
To my surprise though the spotting never increased, it just went away after a day and a half..so I started to wonder..with my 3 yr old that is how I came to think I was preggo also..
So I had tested on friday when spotting began but it was negative..when spotting subsided on saturday I tested again and I swear I could see the faintest of lines but my fiance insisted there was nothing there..sunday morning I test again and get the same results..
I thought maybe Im just thinking wrong and af will come back full force..but yesterday morning after work (cause I work the overnight shift 5 days a week) I tested 1st thing when I got home and even though its not with FMU it was still positive, still faint but darker than the ones this weekend!! I still cant believe it..
Am worried about m/c since the one last summer but am hoping for the best..

I wanted to pop in to let you know that the opks worked so well that I am now getting positive pregnancy tests!! The line is faint still but not as faint as this weekend's tests..so I'm pregnant!! I just can't believe the strips worked and so fast too..it was only my first month trying and I bought a 2 month supply..what do I do with those now?? LOL..

vybe77 replied to vybe77's response:
Sorry about the double post but when I wrote the 1st one WebMD was telling me it had not registered so I wrote the 2nd and now they are both here!! LOL

Spotlight: Member Stories

Well, my story as a mother began in August of 2005 when my husband and I discovered we were expecting. Two weeks later I experienced some cramping and...More

Helpful Tips

i just dont know
just resently had to abort my baby because of medical issues with my body. my and my boyfriend were being careful but the condom broke now ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 29 found this helpful