Skip to content
Infertility, Thyroid Disease, Cancer, Radiation x2 ! Can we start trying now?
briselida posted:
After trying to conceive for 2 years I found out I had an overactive thyroid with nodules. Biopsies of nodules/tumors were inconclusive so surgery performed on 2/12/09 (my 33rd bday) which turned out to be positive for Cancer. Radiation soon followed with a series of certain tests which required us to wait to conceive. When we finally received clearance to to start trying 6 months of Clomid 100mcg did not work. Much to our surprise, testing of past cancer needed to be done again and only to be told again the cancer either returned and or radiation did not clear it completely. So radiation again in 2011 and retesting again in March shows completely negative! I am happy with the results but I have decided not to wait to try to conceive as I am now 36 years old. I feel my husband is reluctant to have sex and he refuses to talk. I am anticipating another HSG exam with next months period to see if my one RFT is open and clear. I try to not stress and or worry but I am starting to feel like giving up. At times I feel this mid low right side pain during my mid cycle month which brings me back to feeling that it is still possible! I can only hope for the best. Thanks for letting me vent and hope your eyes don't hurt from reading this.
Thank you,
Still Trying and Waiting!

acusano3 responded:
What a strong woman you are! I was teary while reading this. You have such a positive attitude, which helps so much when you have to deal with a struggle like this. I wish you the best of luck with the upcoming HSG test and most of all with your journey to conceive! Sending LOTS of baby dust your way!!

LizzyBlue responded:
I'm too am going through something similar.
Two years ago my now husband and I were TTC and nothing. Well, it turned out I also had Thyroid problems, Cancer to be exact which had spread to the lymph nodes. I had a neck dissection in June of last year and 150mc of radiation in July. We of course like you were told to wait. I am 36 as well and (1yr later) were given the ok to start TTC again. I feel stressed and rushed to get prego since I am older. I started acupuncture a week ago since my menstrual periods are not regulated, with the hopes that it will give me a little "extra" help...Are you on Synthroid? I am on 137, I will also start my infertility consultation/diagnosis/treatment next week. My OB assures me I'm ok but I just don't want to take any chances..Just to make sure! We have been trying for 2 mo now. Keep trying!! talk to your OB and Endo for your options! I joined a group which also gives me feed back. thyca.org. There are women there that conceived shortly after radiation and have had healthy babies...there is hope for us!

briselida replied to LizzyBlue's response:
Hello.. wow, you're right almost the same. I to am taking Levothyroxine 125mcg. I am scheduled for the HSG exam Tuesday which I'm praying will be normal. I wondered often if acupuncture is beneficial. I hear so many conflicting stories. Does it hurt? I too am feeling rushed to get prego and now my hubby says he does not want any children after age 45. I was in shock after his statement only because he will be 45 on the 29th. I think he is just frustrated and really did not mean to say that to me especially because he knows about the HSG exam. Well I wanted to thank you for responding. Knowing I am not the only on and that there's still hope makes me feel better. I often been told that when I stop trying, that's when it will happen. I feel that it's possibly true. I will look into acupuncture soon but please let me know how it works out for you. Again, thank you. God bless you. ttyl.

briselida replied to briselida's response:
OMG! HSG went great and my RFT is open and perfectly clear!! Dr said the was no need to tilt or turn my pelvis as fluid just moved so freely. I am so happy and excited, my prayers have been answered. We can now go ahead and TTC. Dr also says chances increase by 30-40% with having HSG done. Next week I will see him again for the start of new fertility drug. I feel so blessed and now I finally feel peace with no stress or worries. I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason.

Spotlight: Member Stories

finally happily married with 4 daughters. My husband and I have none together and really want one. I had tubal ligation at 21 and regret being forced ...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.