Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Getting off BCP
vds10 posted:
So I just stopped my BCP. I was on the generic form of Yasmin (Ocella) for about 7 months and then Yasmin for the next 5 months so a year total. I'm not sure when AF will come because I can't quite remember how my cycle was before but it was regular but not 28 days. Has anyone had a hard time getting pregnant after Yasmin? I think I ovulated already due to the CM changes which I didn't have on the pill so I got excited. My husband doesn't believe in "trying" to get pregnant, but we are technically trying to have a baby. Any advice as to how long it took to ovulate or get a normal period after getting off BCP. I heard some people can ovulate 2 weeks after stopping the pill, but has anyone had experience with this or know of someone who did.

MrsBurt05 responded:
I've been taking the same BCP for 4 years! I stopped taking it the beginning of October 2011. We've been ttc since, and AF just showed up the other day, so we're on cycle 3. I think I ovulated right away when getting off of it. I stopped taking it once that cycle of pills ended, so the hormones were just right for ending it. I've always had a regular 28 day cycle before, during, and after BCP (except this month, AF came 2 days early). Ever since having my first DS, I could feel myself ovulate, and even being on BCP, every once in awhile, I could feel myself ovulate and have the CM changes. Never got pregnant while on it though, but easily could have. I guess I was that 1% who ovulate while on BC. I've never been on BC before, so this is the 1st time ttc after BC. I hope our 3rd time is a charm!! Good luck to you & baby dust!!!
Me-25 DH-27 DS-6 DS-4 TTC-10/18/11

MrsBurt05 replied to MrsBurt05's response:
Oh, I lied! Haha! About a year & a half ago, I stopped taking my BCP for 8 months ttc, & nothing happend. I got fed up & went back on it then went back to college. I don't know if it's the BCP or me, because when ttc for our 2nd (our youngest) it took about 7-8 months & I wasn't on BCP before him. It literally only took the ONE time to get pregnant with our 1st & he wasn't planned! Funny how things like that happen!

vds10 replied to MrsBurt05's response:
Thanks for your input. I don't ever remember having CM changes on the BCP but like 3 days ago I noticed that I had discharge (weird to have it after a year of not having any) and then the next day (two days ago) I wiped and saw the egg white cervical mucus so I got really excited. My husband and I have been ttc since I stopped the pills almost everyday or at least every other day and we definitely did on the day I noticed EWCM. I'm just going to wait and see if I get any symptoms and see if my period returns before I take a test.

MrsBurt05 replied to vds10's response:
Are you in the 2ww?

phoenixsong61 responded:
I am in the same situation you are, vds10. My husband and I are letting nature take it's course in trying for a baby after I stopped the pill. I just finished my cycle, so we are going to start "trying" now. I have no idea what to expect in actually trying to conceive since my first child was unexpected. Good luck and I hope you get pregnant quickly!

vds10 replied to MrsBurt05's response:
Well since I just stopped my BCP I'm not sure if my cycle has already returned to normal. But if it has and if I did ovulate when I think I did, then Yes I am in the 2ww.

vds10 replied to phoenixsong61's response:
Thanks! I'm hoping I do too. I'm not in a big rush, but the excitement is overwhelming and I'm just in the mode of "I just want it to happen already!"...and I haven't even been trying long.. I hope you get pregnant soon as well.

phoenixsong61 replied to vds10's response:
I am not in a huge rush, but I only have a few months of trying before having to go back on birth control due to a potential upheaval in my husband's career. I really want another baby now, so that makes me wish there was more I could do. I hate waiting! I wish there was a way to instantly know. Instead, I am just trying to stay busy with Christmas preparations and caring for my son.

Oh yeah I wish there was more that you could do. I also hate the waiting process, and not knowing what's to come. I think Christmas preparations are the best way to keep busy. I know we'll be with family the whole time so that should keep my mind off the waiting process.

Same here. This Christmas is going to be crazy for me, so I am hoping that between that and helping out a friend in her last trimester, I will be too busy to do more than hope and keep trying every day I can! Let me know if you get a positive result on your test when you do test! I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Well it's good to hear that you will have some things keeping you busy the next couple of weeks. My husband wants me to take a test already but I want to wait until maybe next week sometime to see if AF comes. Plus I just feel that once I take a test I'll be wanting to take them all the time, and that will just make me more nervous. And now is too early for the test to know so I'll just wait it out. I just want to wait until the week AF is suppose to come and see if I have any more symptoms. Have you been having any symptoms of maybe being pregnant?

I know the feeling about testing. My husband is the one who told me I was pregnant the first time and was right, so if he tells me I am again, I'll probably test to see if he is right again. Otherwise, I am just planning on waiting until I am late or am showing symptoms. I don't have any yet, but it's only been a few days since I finished bleeding, so I won't show anything for a while. I just made an doctor's appointment to make sure I am healthy and don't have any problems that would keep me from conceiving or carrying a child. So, if the news is good, then I just have to keep waiting. Hopefully, they won't find anything.

What about you? Are you showing any symptoms?

Yea my husband keeps telling me I'm pregnant too, and he had a dream about a fish which in his family when someone dreams about a fish that means someone is pregnant. I've read some stuff online about it too. And right now no one else he knows found out they are pregnant so he thinks it's me, which I hope so! Well last week I had some lower left sided pain and the EWCM so I'm thinking that was around the time of ovulation. Then this week my side started aching again, so I'm wondering if it could have been implantation because it happened a week later and only lasted maybe a few hours or so. My nipples were hurting which never happens but that went away mostly a couple of days ago. I get dizzy spells every now and then. I feel like things smell a lot stronger but I don't know if I'm just paying more attention to things now a days. Can't say if I'm using the bathroom more often because I always drink a lot of water so I'm used to going a lot. I feel like I've been having a lot of CM changes. It's just weird though because I haven't really had those changes being on he pill for a year. It's not that long of a time but still it's like I can't quite remember my cycle. BUT I do know for sure I didn't have symptoms before AF came. I rarely had cramps and if I did it would be the day AF came, or my stomach would cramp and then I'd check and it came. It's weird how I want to wake up and feel a little sick just so I'd know because I never throw up or get nauseous out of the blue. So we will see. We are suppose to be traveling so I hope I don't feel bad on those days because that would be hard. I might test later this week I'm guessing about 10 or 11 dpo. When did you test during your first pregnancy?

I was about two weeks along when I tested. I had been having some difficulty with my birth control pills and wound up bleeding heavily for three weeks. I felt awful the entire time and after I stopped bleeding. I talked to my husband, who was my fiance at the time, about why I still felt so tired and miserable. I thought that I was possibly anemic, but he told me that I was pregnant. I bought a test to prove he was wrong and took it at work. I used the First Response test and it was instantly positive. I never had the traditional signs of pregnancy except for fatigue. I hope your test is positive when you take it!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married to DH since June 2010. We have one adorable dog and are trying to conceive our first baby together! Work in higher ed administration, love (a...More

Helpful Tips

Have trouble keeping track of your cycles?
There is a free Iphone App called Period Tracker Lite that has really helped me keeo track of my cycles, ovulation and symptoms. More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 45 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.