Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New and confused....
MeganT09 posted:
So, I was on the depo for about 2 and half years. My last shot was back in May 2011 and I started having problems with it. I called my doctor to see if I could switch to the pill before my next shot appointment. I understand that it can take up to a year for the shot to leave your system, but with taking the pill, I started getting my periods back. My husband and I decided to start trying for a baby after my second batch of pills. In October, I got my normal period. In November, it came two days late and lasted all week. There was nothing different about it except for it arriving two days late. I didn't get one for the month of December. I thought that it might come late like it did in November, but it's been almost a week and still nothing. I took a test this week, but it said negative. I'm not trying to stress out about it, but I would just like to know so that I can start taking the necessary precautions. If anyone has any answers or suggestions for me, it would be greatly appreciated

rbotello0626 responded:
Hi!! I was on Depo for about the same time, My last shot was in Jan of 2011. I just saw my OB yesterday and he said it can take a long time to get back on track. I dont know about the pills I didnt take any however I did get a period on 10/08/11 it lasted a week then that was it I havent gotten one again. He gave me Provera it is supposed to regulate my periods. We'll see how that goes. Good luck I hope I gave you a little help

Cowgirl6598 responded:
I was on Depo for 21 months. My last shot was October 2010. I had random periods while on Depo, and very irregular ones after stopping Depo. Even if you have periods, especially irregular ones, you may not be ovulating. The pill will probably give you periods, but will not make you ovulate any sooner. I did not get a regular period until November 2011. My husband and I have been TTC since August 2011 and still no luck. I am on CD28 of my 3rd regular cycle... Hoping this month is finally the month Should start my period either tomorrow or by Saturday, crossing my fingers...

From what i've heard and people I know who were on Depo, it takes at least a year after your last shot has wore off to ovulate again. But it is different for everyone. Good luck to you!!

capriciousangel31 responded:
http://www.pregnancy-info.net/forums/General_Pregnancy_Questions/How_long_to_get_pregnant_after_depo_/pga-2/

this a great site to read for people who were on Depo and now ttc, I was depo for 1 round and took me and my husband 2 years of ttc before we got our BFP and now I am 12 weeks along.
it was nov 2011 when I finally ovulated even though I had my periods pretty much like clock work for those 2 years. I wish you the best of luck and baby dust to you all

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 27 years old and have been married to my highschool sweetheart for 6 years. God blessed us with a beautiful 3 year old daughter named Tessa. I jo...More

Helpful Tips

Vitamin Deficiencies Lead to infertility
Having trouble concieveing?? Next time you are st your doctors office ask for a blood draw to check your vitamin levels. Low amounts of ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.