Skip to content
Just stop taking birth control, what should I expect
frynchfry posted:
My husband and I decided we are ready to start trying to have kids in December. I finished out my birth control (Ocella) for that cycle then had my normal period on the schedule I had the entire time I was on the pill. With my on pill schedule my period should have come yesterday (Saturday). I look at an ovulation calculator and was having ovulation symptoms the days the calendar said I should be ovulating. My husband and I had sex on a few of these days. On Friday, I felt the way I normally do the day before my periods but my period did not come. I've also had some slight nausea for the past few days and slight cramping yesterday and today. I took a pregnancy test today and it was negative. I plan to take another in 3 or more days. I know going off the pill can cause irregular periods. If I am not pregnant I want to know how long until I should expect my period. I read that it can take up to 3 months to have the first period after birth control. This seems like a long and frustrating amount of time to wait to take another pregnancy tests if my period does not come. I had periods every 6 weeks before birth control and then a 28 week cycle on it. Does the 3 month wait apply to all forms of birth control or just the kind that stops periods all together? Should I take a pregnancy tests once if my old 6 week cycle doesn't start right away? Or should I wait 3 months and see what happens and only take a tests if I have other pregnancy symptoms?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I got married on June 12, 2010 to my wonderful husband at the age of 20. He is a youth pastor at our church, and I love working with the teenagers the...More

Helpful Tips

Acronyms and Lingo
Here are some of the acronyms used TTC-trying to conceive BFN-big fat negative BFP-big fat positive DDO-days past ovulation BCP-birth ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 23 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.