Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Is anyone using the Billings Method?
jen958 posted:
Hi,
This is my first post on WebMD! My husband and I are ttc. I stopped taking BC in July, but used condoms for a few months. We've been trying since Nov, so I guess this is our fourth month ttc. My sister-in-law gave me a book called the Billings Method. It's a natural way to monitor your fertility, based on cervical mucus secretion and sensation at the vulva. Is anyone else using this method? Please share insight, info, etc. Thanks!

TKO120107 responded:
Welcome to the community!

I had never heard of the Billings Method until I read your post so obviously I don't use it. I do track cervical mucus (CM), though, to see when I'm ovulating. Several of the ladies on here do that plus track their basal body temperature (BBT).

What I've noticed is that CM varies greatly among women. I only get a little so the change inconsistency is the thing I notice more than the quantity. Some ladies will also see a difference in quantity where they'll get tons of CM during ovulation.

Good luck and baby dust!
Me (39) DH (40) DS (2) TTC no. 2

TKO120107 replied to TKO120107's response:
in consistency ... not inconsistency which totally changes the meaning. Ugh!

jen958 replied to TKO120107's response:
Thanks so much! Yes I read in the book that some woman may have already discovered the ability of CM to signal ovulation... I'll have to explore this forum a little more and see what others are saying. I think I'll start tracking my BBT too. BTW, coming off BC is the best thing I've ever done for my body. I'm actually feeling more feminine, if that makes sense ?!?

TKO120107 replied to jen958's response:
I used the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility when we were TTC our son. That's where I learned about CM. I'm really lucky to have extremely regular cycles so I only check for CM and don't do the BBT or other fertility signs.

It's interesting that you say that about coming off BC. I've heard others say the same thing. Personally, I like BC because it makes AF lighter and shorter for me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Howdy all. My DH and I have been married 5 years this Oct and we think we are finaly ready to start TTC. I'm a High School Teacher and my DH works...More

Helpful Tips

Have trouble keeping track of your cycles?
There is a free Iphone App called Period Tracker Lite that has really helped me keeo track of my cycles, ovulation and symptoms. More
Was this Helpful?
28 of 45 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.