Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Just Started Trying to Conceive
butterfly92778 posted:
I went off my birth control pills in April. I got my period on April 4 and it lasted until April 8 or April 9. The last day of my last sugar pill of the last pack was April 7. So as of April 8 I have not been taking any birth control. I used an application on my phone called Pink Pad to track my periods and fertility days. My husband and I had sex on April 18 which was 1 day before my ovulation day, April 19. This was according to the app I had on my phone. I knew that going off the pill was going to cause some changes in things. My app said that my next period would start May 3. I didn't get my period May 3, May 4. or May 5. Even at 3am on Sunday May 6 I did not have my period yet so I thought maybe I could be pregnant. I also remember having cramps and my feet aching like they usually do right before my period but that all started on Tuesday May 1 and as of May 6 at 3am like I said I had not gotten my period yet. This led me to believe that I may just in fact be pregnant. However, I was extremely disappointed when I woke up at 10:30am Sunday morning May 6 and got my period. So obviously at this point I just figured I was late due to the fact that I just went off the birth control just a short time ago. I was very heavy both Sunday May 6 and Monday May 7 but I was very light Tuesday May 8 and barely had anything today Wednesday May 9. Now again I knew there would be changes in things due to just going off the birth control but I have always had periods that are a minimum of 5 days but mostly up to 7 days while I was on the pill. Going off the pill I figured it would be different but I for sure didn't think it would be shorter if anything I thought it would be longer. I have noticed a few other things like my breasts appearing bigger and being harder and a 8 pound weight gain over just about 1 1/2 months. So bottom line is it possible and I know it is a small chance could I be pregnant even though I got my period? I know they have said some women can still get their period the first month or two of being pregnant. The only thing is what kind of period is it? Since mine was heavy 2 days and extremely light two days would that be a very abnormal period to have and be pregnant. I was extremely devastated after being late for 3 days and then getting my period since I got excited thinking I might be pregnant so I am not sure if I want to go through the whole getting a home pregnancy test and doing it to find out it's negative. Should I just wait and see if I get my next period or what it's like if I do get it instead of taking an at home pregnancy test? I know it may be very far fetched but could I be pregnant with what I have described? Just thought I'd get some opinions first before doing anything. Thank you for reading this and for answering if you do, I greatly appreciate it!

preciouslittleone responded:
It's because there is a difference between a pill period and a natural period, your body has to get back on track after having the hormones regulated.

I had a period on May 4th while on the pill (was taking pill to jumpstart ovulation since I wasn't ovulating) and went off my pills on May 9th (in the middle of a pack). As of May 15th I started another period, which should be my natural period. So from there is where I would figure out my ovulation, etc.

I don't think your pregnant but you could take a test and see, just set the expectation that it's probably a false alarm. I know the TTC journey can be an emotional one. I'd make sure you're taking a prenatal or at least a vitamin with a good source of folic acid, it's good to take it for a month or two before you TTC so that it gets in your system, but its not necessary, just helps prep your body make sure it has what it needs to help a baby develop.

Good Luck and lots of baby dust!

butterfly92778 replied to preciouslittleone's response:
Thanks for the information and positive thoughts. Good luck to you as well on your journey to making a baby!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 25 year old proud military wifey. I have been married to my hero for 5 years and we have a beautiful 18month old princess. We are currently on ...More

Helpful Tips

Emoticons
From an awesome anonymous poster, here is the text to use to add emoticons to your posts. : smile : or : ) = : cool : or B ) = : grin ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.