Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
new to this group
rooni222 posted:
Hi Ladies,

I am new to this group and wanted to introduce myself. Like many of you, i was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I am just about to turn 28 next week. We've been trying to concieve for about 9 months now. My biggest problem with PCOS was lack of ovulation. I was put on Yaz for two yrs which i stopped about 10 months ago, so we could start ttc. I ovulated once after stopping the pill, and ever since then i have not ovulated on my own. I went to a gyno who gave me clomid. I tried 50, 100, and 150mg but did not ovulate on any of the doses. I finally saw an RE last month, and she put me on metformin. I was building my dose up slowly and have just started taking 2000mg per day. So i guess its been one month on metformin (not full dose). So far i have not ovulated. My RE said that eventually we can try clomid again, but it'll be up to me when i want to do that. I would love to hear some expiriences with metformin or combination metformin/clomid. If you ladies could share the following:
Did metformin alone work to induce ovulation for you? if so, how long did it take?
Did the combination of metformin/clomid work? if so, how long did you take metformin?
Is there anyone else who was clomid resistant and tried metformin? if so, did you add clomid and was is successful?

I wish you ladies all the best luck and lots of prayers on your journey.

Rooni134
FirstPrevious12NextLast

KittyKatJenn responded:
Hi Rooni. I am on 2000mg of Met right now. Clomid didn't work for me either. My doc said he wants me on the Met for a few months before he can really determine if it is working. In a couple months he is going to pair it with Clomid. I was on 1000mg of Met for about 6 months before he did anything. He said there was some activity but not much. That is why he bumped me up to the 2000mg.

I guess you just have to give it a couple months to see if it will work. Good luck.

Prayforamiracle responded:
Welcome to the board! So glad you have joined us!!! I look forward to chatting with you. To answer your questions:

1) I have been taking Metformin for almost a year now and for me personally I haven't really noticed a difference in my cycles.

2) I have only had one cycle with Clomid and Metformin, and unfortunately it didn't work.

3) I have never taken Clomid by itself.

Also, I'm learning that Clomid doesn't always work for everyone. My RE said if the next dose of Clomid doesn't work for me, he may introduce a medication called Femara instead.

I hope this helps a little. Please keep us posted how everything goes.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 24.

mabeline12 responded:
Hi Rooni

I was clomid resistant. My RE then prescribed me Femara. Which I was also resistant to. I have never taken metformin because my gluclose levels have been ok. I hope the combination works for you. I know it has worked for others :)

rooni222 replied to mabeline12's response:
HI Ladies,

Thank you for replying! i hope that the combo works for me. Mabeline 12, what did you do after Femara did not work?

Thank you,
rooni

mabeline12 replied to rooni222's response:
My next cycle will be my first one since I have found out that I am resistance to the oral meds. Currently I am on day 5 of my 14 days of Prometrium to induce af (i dont get af without being medicated.) Then after my new cycle starts... starting on cycle day 3 I will give myself 10 days of 75 IU of Gonal F injections and then after the 10 days a 250mcg of an Ovidrel shot to trigger ovulation. I will keep you informed as to how I respond to these meds. This is really my last option so if I dont respond to the injections then it will be time to move on from ttc and onto look into adoption.

I wish you the best of luck! did your dr tell you what the chances are of injectible drugs working? Did your dr ever recommend metformin?

It is right around 25%... But that is just 5% higher than with Clomid or Femara (which I didnt respond to either) So we'll see there is a lot of monitoring that goes along with the injectables. I will be going to the doctors every other day to get u/s to see what kind of response and/or growth I am having. As for the metformin, my insulin levels are fine, so no they havent ever wanted me to go on it.

wow, really? i thought the chances with injectibles were like 90% or higher, because those are the drugs that they give for IVF. i guess i should add, i was asking about ovulation rate. i think the 25% chance maybe the pregnacy rate?

OH... heheheh! Yea the 25% is the pregnancy rate. You know though I didnt even think to ask what the Ovulation rate was. I figured because was going in for so much monitoring that we would know really early on if it wasn't working.

keep us informed! its exciting that you get to try injectibles. i wish i could do that right now. Right now i am just waiting to see if metformin will work and then will add clomid in a couple of months. The waiting kills me.

I will definitely keep you up to date! Tonight will be my 10th night of prometrium so any day now af should be here. Last month I think it came on day 11. So we shall see. I am getting pretty anxious to see how these injections work for me. I am also getting pretty hopeful that things will go good. But its also like this is it. So if it doesnt work then on to adoption.

I know exactly what you mean about the waiting. When I was under the care of just my obgyn oh my goodness, it seemed like it was nothing but waiting. It was so hard. I am so thankful that my RE is not big on waiting. When things arent working, he changes them right away. How is the metformin going? When do you think you will be adding in the clomid?

I will definitely keep you up to date! Tonight will be my 10th night of prometrium so any day now af should be here. Last month I think it came on day 11. So we shall see. I am getting pretty anxious to see how these injections work for me. I am also getting pretty hopeful that things will go good. But its also like this is it. So if it doesnt work then on to adoption.

I know exactly what you mean about the waiting. When I was under the care of just my obgyn oh my goodness, it seemed like it was nothing but waiting. It was so hard. I am so thankful that my RE is not big on waiting. When things arent working, he changes them right away. How is the metformin going? When do you think you will be adding in the clomid?

i think the metformin is helping me. i think i see a difference in hair and other symptoms (or maybe its just wishful thinking). however, i have not yet ovulated on my own. I am still just a month and a half into it though, so maybe. by the end of april i'll take provera to bring on a period and i think i'll take clomid beginning of may.
injectible ovulation drugs are pretty powerful so dont lose hope! i am sure they will work!

I am glad that you feel lits working. Im sure that it will only get better over time too. And the end of april is right around the corner. My fingers are crossed for you! Make sure you keep me posted on how its all going.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was first dx with pcos at age 11. the doctors thought that my appendix had burst. I had my appendix removed and a few short hours later told that I ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!