Skip to content
Day 12 scan
CEB85 posted:
I had my day 12 scan today and it was very disappointing. He said there were just a few very small follicles. I'm just so frustrated, sad and angry right now. For the past week I've felt so depressed, not sure if its just from all the stress or from the addition of the dexamethasone to the Clomid. I have to go back on Friday and do another u/s to see if anything shows up but my RE didn't seem too optimistic about it and I think its just going to be a waste of another $175. I was on 100 mg of Clomid and when we first talked he said he was going to bump me up to 150, then when he decided to add the dex. he said he wanted to keep me at the 100 mg of Clomid again. I'm just so frustrated. We've wasted another month and over $600 out of pocket for this month alone. I really don't think the Clomid is going to work for me. Has anyone used Femara? I've heard that this is stronger Clomid. Anyone used this and had any luck or know of any information on it? I don't really know too much about it. But I'm thinking about mentioning that to my Dr.
I'm just tired of wasting time and money on something that doesn't appear to be working. I want to also look into injectable and see what kind of expenses they would be. I'd rather pay more and get results now than keep putting it off and eventually lead down the same road. I know he's going to make me wait at least another 2 weeks before he'll prescribe me provera, then I'll have another 14 day wait after that. I'm just so tired of the waiting. Sorry for rambling, I'm just so upset right now

Prayforamiracle responded:
I have a similar situation in March. You can look down on the list of posts to one titled Update-No Luck, if you would like to read. I was heartbroken the Clomid didn't work for me and out around $600 as well. I haven't tried Femara, but it has been mentioned to me. Just know, I can totally relate to how you feel and what you are going through. For me, the Clomid, the appts, the ultrasounds was so stressful, and then to not even ovulate was so devastating. Hang in there and many hugs coming your way.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 24.

CEB85 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Thanks for your reply. I'm so sorry you've had to go through this as well. I read your story and I really hope you and your husband can get work schedules to work with your plans so you can continue trying.
I'm hoping when I return on Friday I can get some answers on how my RE would like to proceed. I just don't think I'm going to respond to Clomid and think it might be time to look towards other options. However, I don't think I'll see my Dr. everytime I go he's not there and someone is filling in for him which is starting to concern me a bit. I want someone who knows exactly what is going on with me. I'm also hoping I can convince the RE to let me start provera now instead of waiting another 2 weeks when AF is due. AF always comes 14 days once I start to provera, so if I start Friday that would be exactly one month, I just hope they don't make me wait until it doesn't come first. I feel like we're just wasting so much time waiting.

Albrecht0529 replied to CEB85's response:
I hope they don't make you wait to try provera. When there is that much physical and emotional stress involved, 14 days seems like an eternity. It is all just so frustrating and heartbreaking at times...but all of us will be that much more overjoyed when our little ones come! Maybe the reason it takes women will PCOS such a long time to get pregnant, is because our babies are so wonderful and perfect that they take longer to get ready. Hope your doctor comes up with a better option for you! *hugs*
Me: 23 PCOS - Bicornuate uterus DH: 23 Ready to go! TTC for 9 months. Just finished a round of Clomid...hope it worked!!!

mabeline12 replied to CEB85's response:
Hey CEB,
So sorry you didn't get the response you wanted this cycle. I know excatly how you feel. Last month the same thing happened to me with Femara, but it was so hopeless to my doctor didnt even wanna see me back in a few days to see if the follicles grew. I tried Femara after I didnt respond to clomid... BUT... it does work for a lot of people. This cycle I am doing injectables. They are very expensive. 75 IU's of Gonal F for 10-14 day (one 900 IU pen) and a trigger shot of Ovidrel would cost me out of pocket 1500. Luckily I have insurance that covers it, but I just wanted to give you a ball park as to what the meds would cost. Not to mention when I start the injections they are going to monitor me by ultrasound every 2-3 days so that's probably 7 or 8 ultrasounds this cycle alone. like I said I just wanted to give you a heads up on the injectable route, because I was blissfully unaware before starting this cycle.

CEB85 replied to mabeline12's response:
Thank you everyone for your responses. It means so much to me to have this community to talk to. I really appreciate you all! I'm really trying to stay positive at this time. When I return on Friday I'm really going to try to convince the Dr. to prescribe me the provera. I just don't see the point in waiting if I clearly didn't O. Thank you Mabeline12 for the info on the injectables and Femara. I'm going to ask about Femara and see what he says about that. I'd like to give that a shot if he thinks it would work. I just don't feel that the Clomid is going to work for me. A part of me almost hopes he says lets just move onto injectables though. I understand its going to expensive, but at this point I feel like we're just wasting time and money. Thank you all again for your responses and I wish you all the best of luck!

KittyKatJenn replied to CEB85's response:
I totally know how you feel. I have been on the Clomid/Metformin/Provera rollercoaster now for a couple of years. It took forever for my doc to rx me the Metformin! The Clomid doesn't work at all for me, but apparantly in a couple of months he wants to try again.

The waiting and repetition of it all is just so awful. Most of the time it seems like they just don't care. It isn't their time and they are getting paid. Hopefully you can convince your RE to move along.

CEB85 responded:
I went back today for another scan and as I thought there was no follicle. I"m a little confused though because the Dr. didn't understand why there wasn't a follicle after seeing how thick my lining was. She looked and looked and couldn't find anything and she was surprised because of how the lining looked she was sure there should be a follicle. I didn't see my original Dr. and I'm kind of glad about that. She asked what our plan was and I told her he hadn't given us one. She said that before we left I'd have a plan that I was comfortable with through her which made me feel better. She did give me the provera to start today which I'm happy about. And then said she recommeds going to 150 mg clomid, if that doesn't work we'll move to the Femara. I'm just so glad I don't have to wait another 2 weeks for AF. I did mention the injectables and she doesn't feel we need to go there yet which made me feel good. I'm actaully surprised how much better I feel after this appointment. I just really hope the 150 clomid with the dexamethosone works.

Prayforamiracle replied to CEB85's response:
I'm sorry that you still didn't show a follicle. At least, it seems like you have a very understanding doc. Your plan is exactly what they told me. When I'm ready, the next try will be with 150mg of Clomid and then probably move to Femara. I hope the time files for you and you will be starting the Clomid before you know it.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 25.

CEB85 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Thanks. I just hope this doesn't mean that there is something else wrong. She said with as thick of lining that I had it was obvious that I had produced estrogen and she couldn't understand why a follicle didn't form. She looked and looked and couldn't find a follicle. Hopefully the increase in clomid will do the trick but I'm just not so sure yet. I want to do some research and see if Femara is more likely to work. I just haven't heard too muh about it so I'm not sure if its more likely to work, or still just a guessing game like the clomid. This is just so frustrating....Thanks for letting me vent.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Femara worked the first cycle for me. I produced 4 follicles, and although we got a BFN this month, I did respond to the medicine.
Femara is the only thing that my RE uses. It has less side effects and he's seen more success with it. It now has a generic (letrozole), but my doctor gave me a card so I could get 30 pills brand name for free!

We also did an injectable trigger shot. We went through Freedom Fertility Pharmacy and they sent my shot FedEx next day for around $100. My insurance doesn't cover this med.
The only side effects I've seen from Femara is light cramping in the ovaries, one day of back spasms, and fatigue. Overall, the side effects were very mild. I just nap a lot.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001, after years of irregular cycles since a D & C in 1994. No one could figure out what the problem could be. When ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.