Skip to content
Dexamethasone?
rooni222 posted:
Hi Ladies,

My doctor finally got back to me. After clomid with metformin didnt work, she wants to try clomid and dexamethasone. I dont even know if i should bother....metformin + clomid is supposed to be very effective and if that didnt work, what are the chances that dexamethasone will work?
Have any of you taken dexamethasone with clomid? if so, could tell me about your expirience? what were the side effects? (i know weight gain due to excessive hunger is one). how did you take it? I would really appreciate some insight.

Thank you,

Rooni

rooni222 responded:
CEB85, i know you just took it. was there weight gain?

rooni222 replied to rooni222's response:
Just talked to my dr again. Apparently she wants me to take a very low dose of dexamethasone for a month before taking clomid again. has anyone ever heard of that?

CEB85 replied to rooni222's response:
Hi Rooni222, Yes I took it and no I didn't have any weight gain from it. Unfortunately it didn't work for me with the clomid. It appears I'm clomid resistant. The only side effects I had was difficulty sleeping the first couple nights I took it. I also had to get up a couple of times a night and use the restroom even thought I'd make sure I wasn't drinking a lot of water before bed.They told me to take it at night before bed, I'm not sure why. I ended up taking it about an hour before bed and that seemed to help. I think I was taking .5 mg of it, so nothing too strong. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask and good luck!!

rooni222 replied to CEB85's response:
Thanks CEB85! did you have to take it for a month before you took clomid?

No, I only took it starting cycle day 2 through 16 or 17, which ever day they told me that the cycle was a bust. I think I took it for 3 cycles and they told me that I would take it until I got my HCG shot, which never came. However, from other things that I read most women were on it continuously. I don't recall reading anything where they had to be on it a month first but I wasn't able to find too much information on it. To me it didn't seem like they were giving it enough time to work for me, but I don't really know how it all works.

Me niether. my dr said i had to be on it for atleast a month. I am not sure why. i have never heard of this treatment, and i cant find any information on it either. Dexamethasone suppresses adrenal function. The idea behind it is to lower the DHEAs levels and the testosterone levels. How it all ties into ovulation, i am not sure. i think i am going to start taking it beginning to July and then i have to take clomid again. I doubt it'll work but my doctor wants to try that before she moves onto injectibles. She said i'll be taking 0.25mg, which is half of the lowest dose. I was just afraid of the side effects, but i guess at that dose, there arent any. i'll keep you posted. when do you start injectibles?

I'm trying to remember exactly what my Dr. said about the Dex. I believe he said that the ovaries produce DHEA's, and by taking the Dex it should reduce the amount of DHEA's produced by the ovaries and therefore allowing follicle growth. I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not, it was a while ago we talked about it. I would imagine with such a low does you wouldn't have too many side effects. I didn't notice having any spike in hunger. I hadn't even heard that was a side effect until you mentioned it. Yes, please keep me posted on your progress! I really hope this works for you! I know how frustrating it is to be trying so many treatments. I should start my injectables next week sometime. Currently taking provera so hopefully a new cycle will start soon. I have to go tomorrow to meet with a nurse and learn how to properly inject myself. Excited and nervous all at the same time.
If you have any more questions or concerns please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help you along. I know how nice it is to be able to have someone to talk to who's going through the same issues.

Good Luck! i'll be pulling for you!

Albrecht0529 replied to rooni222's response:
Good Luck to both of you! Hope everything works out!
Me: 23 PCOS - Bicornuate uterus - Long luteal phase DH: 23 Ready to go! TTC for almost a year. Just finishing our second round of Clomid.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 25 y.o. I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 19. My DH is 30, he is healthy as a horse. We have been TTC for just at two years now. We have had 3 mis...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.