Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Provera Question
CEB85 posted:
Has anyone ever taken Provera consistently for quite a few months? I'm just wondering how you responded to the provera after an extended amount of time. I just finished my 9th month in a row on Provera. Until this month I've always started on the 4th day after I stopped the pills. It was very consistent down to even the hour it would start. Now this month its been 6 days and still nothing. I'm getting so frustrated as I really wanted AF to come so I could start our first round of injectables, and now this month I'm responding differently. Has this happened to anyone else, being so consistent and then suddenly waiting more days? The nurse told me I should have it within 7 days of stopping the pills so that would be tomorrow. I know I'm probably jumping the gun but this is getting so frustrating. On day 6 thru 9 of taking the pills I had the usual symptoms that I normally do before AF arrives, cramping, ect. And now, it seems like those symptoms are gone and nothing is happening. Sorry for rambling I'm just so confused right now. Hoping this is normal.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

rooni222 responded:
that happened to me once. i usually got AF within 3 days, but one time it went to 5 days after stopping the pills. are you taking a different dose than you usually do? also, i was told that i have upto 2 weeks before i get my period. i wouldnt worry until its been 2 weeks. but if the nurse told you 7 days, then just contact them. it might just mean that your lining didnt build up as much as it should have and you need more.

CEB85 replied to rooni222's response:
Hi Rooni222, Thanks for your response. I guess I just need to be more patient. I think I'm mainly concerned because the normal symptoms I was having seemed to have disappeared and I'm just impatient as I want to get this new round moving. The dosage is the same as it was before, nothing has changed there. The Dr. said at my last ultrasound that they called the month a bust my lining was pretty thick, so who knows. I guess I just need to give it some more time.
Hope everything is going well for you!

CEB85 replied to CEB85's response:
I am just so frustrated right now, I feel like I'm about to just have a breakdown and cry. I finally got some hope this month since we're trying injectables for the first time and now it doesn't appear that the provera is working. They said if af didn't come in seven days to call, so I did, and now they're telling me I have to wait another week before they'll do anything. If I wait another week, and they then want to put me on another round of provera I wont be able to. We have a 2 week vacation planned at the end of July and the timing just wont work. I've always started 4 to 5 days after taking the last provera pill. And now nothing, even the symptoms I was having that af was coming have disappeared. I'm just so frustrated all I want to do is cry. I just don't know how much more I can take. I feel like I'm being punished for some reason. I'm so sorry for venting like this, but I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. I've got so much stress from all this going on, so much stress from work, I feel like I just can't catch a break.

DJBJMB replied to CEB85's response:
Hello sorry your are feelin like this and af isnt cooperating, but have u poas?? to see if ur preggo? Hoping the best for you :)
Been married for 15 years, DH 33 Im 31. We have a DD 15, adopted nephew 4. Had mc@13 week in 04.Tubal 04 lost tube. MC at 9wks 2010.(wasnt tryn)Have PCOS :( But still holding for another BLESSING :)

rooni222 replied to DJBJMB's response:
Hi CEB85, please try not to be so stressed. Trust me, it'll only lead to more problems. I know its difficult, i've been there. I used to cry all the time. Even the slightest thing would set me off. Sometimes it still does, but everytime it does, i tell myself:
a) its not the end, there are always more options
b) there are so many good things in my life and so many ppl who i am thankful for and its not fair to them if i just forget about them. i list all my blessings.
c) you are stronger than you give yourself credit for. take a deep breath and realize that what doesnt kill you, will only make you stronger.

Take a pregnancy test, if that not the case, then go enjoy your vacation, and start again. I tell you all this because, last month when clomid failed for me, i got so stressed that a bunch of my hair fell out. Thats when i realized i cant lose it like that. Being a mother means being strong and patient. One way or the other, you will become a mother if you want. And because you know how it feels, you will be a great mother. you need to take care of yourself. you matter too. This is not coming from someone who doesnt know how it feels, its coming from someone who understand exactly how frustrating it can be. Please dont stress and take care of yourself.
my thoughts are with you :)

Thank you both for the response, and Thank You Rooni222 for such a positive response. I really appreciate it. I was just having a major moment of weakness. I'm feeling much better today. I just sort of had a break down yesterday. I had a huge work load going on from work and was getting stressed from that and then I got some random message from an old friend that I have't talked to in years that she's expecting her second child. It was just so odd to even hear from her, let alone about that, then my Dr. called me back and told me to wait another week even though I had waited the amount of time they told me in the first place and I just lost it.

I hope this month goes much better for you too! We all know the frustration each other is going through.

rooni222 replied to CEB85's response:
I am really glad you are feeling better :)
I am actually not doing anything right now. I really think I just need to take a break and not think about it all the time like i was doing. Its been 40 days since the first day of my last "fake period" and as expected, nothing is happening.
My heart still jumps everytime i hear of someone's pregnancy (it can be an animal!!!), but i tell myself to calm down.

Keep on hanging on! i know you will be fine :)

Prayforamiracle replied to CEB85's response:
I have not taken Provera consistently, but just wanted to send you lots of hugs. I know we all have those days of feeling panicked or hopeless, but it is good to know we have people here to support us. I just wanted you to know, I'm here for you and praying for better days ahead.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

CEB85 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Thank you all for the support, I really appreciate it. Just thought I'd give a little update. I went back in and saw the Dr. today because still no AF since its been 13 days since I took my last provera. The Dr. said it looks like there could have been something on my one ovary so maybe I ovulated late. They did say my lining was pretty thick, so I'm not really sure what all this means. They drew blood to see if I did ovulate and will call me tomorrow with the results. I'm wondering if I ovulated late if there is a chance that I could actually be pregnant. I took a test on Friday and it was negative. I'm just not sure what all the lining means on being thick. I should have asked more questions while there, but I was in such a hurry and didn't think to ask more questions until after I left. They said if it appears I ovulated then I should start AF within the next week. If no ovulation is detected in the blood test they will prescribe something other than provera to get started.

I hope the blood work can provide you some answers. Keep us posted!
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

rooni222 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Hope its positive news! :) keep us posted

Ok, so I finally heard back from the Dr. office and it appears that I did actually ovulate late. I now have to wait 2 weeks and see if AF comes, If not I have to go in for more blood work to check for pregnancy.
I'm kind of excited but trying not to get my hopes up. We had planned to do an IUI but it got cancelled so maybe the good old fashioned way will work for us this month. Thanks for all your support!

Sending you lots of good luck vibes!!!! Yay for Ovulation!

CEB85 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Well AF arrived today, I go in for my baseline tomorrow morning & hopefully start injectables Saturday. Very excited to get things moving!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! It all started last December (2010) when I went to visit my OBGYN after not seeing AF for 8 months after stopping my birth control pills. After a ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.