Skip to content
Femara - Help please!
Jessi10909 posted:
So I love my doctor. I went in last week for my "clomid exam" adn he gave me a brief run down of the steps he plans to take if I continue to not get pregnant. 50mg clomid x2 months, then 100mg clomid x2months, then 3 months on birth control and back into 2 more rounds of 100mg clomid. Now here's the part that scares me... he said if I am still not pregnant at that point he wants to move to Femara. He did warn me about the "talk" surrounding that particular drug and that it is not FDA approved for fertility treatment and that the drug company that produces it does not reccommend it for fertility purposes due to the possibility of birth defects.

Has anyone else used or talked with their doc about this medication? I found this article and as if the doc's talk didn't scare me enough... I am not entirely terrified that I will not get pregnant and have to consider this med... Help please!

http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/news/20051130/breast-cancer-drug-not-for-fertility
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin + 1200cal/day diet = first round of provera then clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Jessi10909 responded:
Shoot! Sorry for all the typos and spelling errors :(
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin 1200cal/day diet = first round of provera then clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I took Femara for 2 cycles and my doctor didn't mention the risks of birth defects. The first cycle, I had 1 big follicle and 3 smaller ones. That IUI resulted in a BFN. The next cycle, my RE upped my dose and I had a follicle that was so big, it was a functional cyst. Also, they saw something on the ultrasound that looked like a uterine polyp. I just got 4 removed in Feb, along with a D&C and now one has grown back!!!

I have to have a sonahistagram now to see if I do have a polyp and if the cyst has gone away on its own. I wouldn't stress too much about the Femara, though. It's a good option if Clomid doesn't work for you. Not everyone will grow polyps/cysts on it; I just have a tendency to grow them...

Keep us posted.

Prayforamiracle responded:
I have not taken Femara, but the doc has mentioned it. If it comes to that I think I will have to be really convinced before taking it. I have scared myself about it as well. If you find out any promising info about it, please let us know.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

Jessi10909 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
I haven't had any polyps, but I have had major issues with cysts. Doc is even worried about cysts while I'm on clomid, and he said I would need near constant monitoring if I take femora. :( I am jumping the gun a little stressing about it now since I am only on my first round of clomid, but you know how it is! lol Thank you for the info!
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin first round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

Jessi10909 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
I will also need to be very convinced before I will try this one...
I just finished my first round of clomid today, and I am psyched to be rid of the dizzieness and headaches for a little while. Hoping the hot flashes will ease up a bit too...

I will keep everyone updated :) Thanks
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin first round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

smilehope responded:
Hello Jessi--

I am new here.

I have been on metformin since April 2011. Now will start on Femara in a day or two.

Tommorow, I get an u/s, blood work and rx for Femara. My Fertility ARNP says Femara is more promising than clomid with less side effects. It also leaves your blood stream faster than clomid. The birth defects are not a concern if meds are taken as rx during the period.

mabeline12 replied to Jessi10909's response:
Hey! I just wanted to offer my two cents. Lol. I took clomid for 2 cycles and femara for one. By far my RE had way more better things to say about the femara than clomid... from my perspective, clomid was the worst. I would get dizzy spells and really really bad hot flashes... like 4 or 5 an hour from the day after I started taking it until about 2 weeks after I finished my last pill. I didn't have any side effects from the femara... I ended up moving on to injectables, but I just wanted to share my experiances with both.

Jessi10909 replied to mabeline12's response:
Thank you so much mabeline and smilehope! It makes me feel so much better to hear about others taking it. Initially I had never heard of femara and my doc bringing it up before other things (like injectibles) that I am farmiliar with made me nervous. He did also say that the femara would be out of my system by the time I would possibly be pregnant, but all the warnings and studies just caught me way off guard. Thank you so much again ladies :)

As far as an update, I am supposed to be ovulating right now, but no tests or anything with doc to see if its actually happening. DH and I have been following our "schedule" though, so hopefully I will have a test in 2 weeks :)

smilehope replied to Jessi10909's response:
No problem, jesse. My update: I started femara today and so far feeling quite well for the most part. I understand femara is supposevto speed up my ovulation cycle...if I don't get prego on this one we will proceed with femara iui. We have been sexually active for over 5yrs...had one miscarriage at 13 weeks...heard the heart beat and all but the baby was just too small..

KMcEntire responded:
Hi. My husband and I have been TTC for about a year and a half now but I found out in December I have PCOS. I was started on Metformin for a couple of months with no success, and started rounds of Provera and Femera 2.5 a couple of cycles ago. I take the Provera to start my period then Femera on days 3-7. So far no side effects or anything and this past cycle I ovulated (according to a home ovulation test). I feel like we are getting closer! My doctor did inform me about Femera and I haven't tried Clomid, but as others are saying there are less chances of multiples and the drug is out of your system before ovulation.

Albrecht0529 replied to KMcEntire's response:
That is so exciting that you ovulation! Definitely looks like things are starting to go in the right direction for you! Keep us updated!
Me: 23 PCOS - Bicornuate uterus - Long luteal phase DH: 23 Ready to go! TTC for almost a year. Starting our 4th round of Clomid.

smilehope replied to smilehope's response:
Update:

So I completed my femara on cycle day 9. Several days later, I had on ultrasound that indicated that my eggs were growing in size.. largest was 22cm. ARNP RX ovidrel injection on day of ovulation. ...so now we are just waiting.

If this doesnt work, next month we will increase the femare to 7mg during same cycle, do ovidrel inj and do insemination.

In addition, i currently take routine metformin 1500mg/day...but thinking of increasing to 2000mg--as I read some people thats all they needed.

Feeling good, no adverse side effects from current regime.

smilehope replied to KMcEntire's response:
KMCentire--I am really interested on how things turn out...keep me posted on your success...

smilehope replied to Albrecht0529's response:
albrecht--how do you have that automatic posting of your hx at bottom of each page?

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I have PCOS and a bicornuate uterus. Finally got my BFP and now I have a beautiful baby boy!

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.