Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please HELP!
rooni222 posted:
Hi Ladies,

Just seeing if someone has expirienced this. On day 72 after a failed clomid cycle i started noticing some brownish/pinkish spotting. This went on for 4 days, then on day 5 it turned into a true period. Now its been 4 days and i've been having a contast period so i've now been expiriencing a spotting/period for 7 days and it does not look like it'll stop anytime soon. My doctor thinks its just a dysfunctional bleed. I've had one of those before and it never lasts this long and it is light compared to what i have right now. Has anyone ever expirienced this?
My doctor just wants me to take provera again, but wouldnt that just give me another period?
Any ideas as to what might be going on?
thank you,
rooni

CEB85 responded:
Hi Rooni, I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time. I'm not sure how much help I can be as I've not had this happen to me, but I've heard of when some women with PCOS finally get a true period on their own it can last much longer than normal and be quite heavy.
I don't really understand why you're Dr. would want to put you on provera, like you said, I think that would just give you another period.
I'm sorry, I know I wasn't much help but I wanted to tell you I'm thinking of you and that I hope your Dr. is able to figure this out for you so you can keep moving forward.

Prayforamiracle responded:
I'm sorry for your long cycle. I know doctors know best but since you are experiencing a period, I don't see why he would want you to take Provera again. I think sometimes we have crazy cycles. Mine are not always the same and maybe you are just having an odd one. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hang in there.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

rooni222 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Its been 10 days straight of a period and i am still not stopping. I started provera a couple of days ago. according to my doctor taking provera should stop it (which hasnt happened yet) and at the end of the provera cycle i'll have another period and then it should stop completely. She still says its just a dysfunctional bleed, i am just not sure why its lasting this long.
What bothers me is that its totally nonproductive. If i was ovulating i wouldnt be this bothered. But i didnt even ovulate. Basically i am stuck with a long unproductive period.... :( This sucks!
I'll let you guys know what the provera does. Thank you for your thoughts.

Prayforamiracle replied to rooni222's response:
Sorry for all that is going on. I know when you have something like this or a long anovuatory cycle it feels like such a waste of valuable time. I hoping this will not be lasting much longer for you.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

rooni222 replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
the provera caused the bleeding to go away considerably although i'll get another period at the end of the provera. after the cycle i am going to schedule an HSG with my doctor and talk about more options.

Jessi10909 replied to rooni222's response:
I used to bleed nonstop, so I have been in the same situation. Prior to TTC, AF was always constant when I wasn't on BCP's. When I got on Metformin I became relatively normal. I vary between starting on time (day 28) to starting a week late, but never more than a week and never earlier than day 28. I have been that way for the past year and a half on met. I was only given Provera once, but as more of an insurance plan, I started at the same time as I would have naturally, and after my first round of Clomid last month I started on my own a little less than a week late (torture!). Has your doc checked your insulin levels or talked about Metformin or Glucophage? Hope this was helpful, at least you know you're not alone! Good luck and baby dust!!
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin second round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

Jessi10909 responded:
I used to bleed nonstop, so I have been in the same situation. Prior to TTC, AF was always constant when I wasn't on BCP's. When I got on Metformin I became relatively normal. I vary between starting on time (day 28) to starting a week late, but never more than a week and never earlier than day 28. I have been that way for the past year and a half on met. I was only given Provera once, but as more of an insurance plan, I started at the same time as I would have naturally, and after my first round of Clomid last month I started on my own a little less than a week late (torture!). Has your doc checked your insulin levels or talked about Metformin or Glucophage? Hope this was helpful, at least you know you're not alone! Good luck and baby dust!!
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin second round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi everyone! My DH (39) and I (25) have been TTC since January 2008. I was diagnosed with PCOS in March 2010. Previously on 2000mg Metformin, currentl...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!