Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HSG on Monday
rooni222 posted:
Hi Ladies,

I am scheduled for an HSG on Monday. For those of you, who've been through it, can you tell me what its like? i've read all kinds of things. some say its the worst kind of pain others say it goes off without a problem. i am not sure what to think. the nurse said that there is slight cramping which goes away after a few minutes.

Anyone have any tips?

Thank you
FirstPrevious12NextLast

mabeline12 responded:
Hi... ok so I don't want to scare you or anything, but my hag was absolutely some of the worst pain I've ever been in. But there wasn't much cramping or anything afterwards. It was only durring the procedure. I recomend calling and asking your nurse or dr, if you can take some kind of pain reliever ahead of time. Though I also have heard from a lot of ladies that theirs didn't hurt them at all... unfortunately I think its just the luck of the draw. I would also see if you could have someone your comfortable with come with you. I know my dh was right next to me through the whole thing and that helped a little. Plus it was really nice to have someone there to drive me home. The whole procedure is not very long so that's one other positive and it is kinda neat to see what your uterus and falopian tubes look like.

rooni222 replied to mabeline12's response:
Hey Lady! how are you doing? how are the babies?

Unfortunately my husband has to teach that day (hes a professor and its the first day of classes for him). So i'll be by myself. The nurse said i can drive myself, the only thing is i am driving two hrs to get there and back. She also said i can take a pain reliever an hr or so before. I am kinda nervous but its also neccessary. Thank you for you response.

Jessi10909 replied to rooni222's response:

I had an HSG a couple of months ago and it wasn't too bad. Definitely bring a pad or 2 with you for afterward because you have not only the dye coming out, but I had a decent amount of bleeding for a couple days afterward too. As far as the cramping... I didn't think it was that bad during, and one of my tubes was even blocked and had to be "blown out". 4-5 hours later I had severe cramps, but it wasn't any worse than bad period cramps and I hadn't taken any pain reliever at all that day. Not to scare you, but no one warned me about this part and I really wished that they had... it REALLY hurt when they threaded the catheter into my cervix. Very intense pain, but over with very quickly, as soon as it was in place it was fine. Good luck and let us know how everything turns out!
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin second round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

CEB85 responded:
Hi Rooni222,

I had an HSG in March and it really wasn't too bad. I had a little cramping after but nothing I couldn't handle. My nurse told me to take advil an hour before and I think it was 800mg. My DH was with me and that did help. I only had a slight pinching at first and I was so surprised when they told me it was over and all was good. I know everyone reacts differently but I just wanted to let you know it was no big deal for me. Good luck!

Prayforamiracle responded:
Hoping it goes okay today. Keep us posted.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

mabeline12 responded:
Hey Rooni... just checking in on you. Hope all went ok today, please let me know! The babies are doing ok, as far as I know. I haven't seen them in a month though. I have an appointment this afternoon though so hopefully I'll get to find out the sexes today. I'll keep you posted.

rooni222 replied to mabeline12's response:
Hi Ladies,

My HSG went well. I was definately freaked out for nothing. The whole thing was just somewhat unpleasant (i've had pap smears more uncomfortable than that) and was over very quickly. Best of all, there were no problems with my tubes or uterus so thats good. Now if i can just get my ovaries to push out eggs :( atleast one thing is ok.

I am so glad everything is ok for you! Let us know what the sexes are!!

CEB85 replied to rooni222's response:
Hi Rooni, I'm so glad it went ok for you & all is clear. That's wonderful news!

mabeline12 replied to rooni222's response:
So glad all went well!! I'm glad it wasn't as painful as mine! :) My ob didn't even do and ultrasound yesterday :( so it'll be another month before I know... oh well. I did get to hear their heartbeats on a doppler. And now I know where to look for them when I use the one I have at home.

Jessi10909 replied to mabeline12's response:
Hey mabeline: How far along were you when they were able to tell that you were having multiples? I literally JUST got my BFP, saw doc today to confirm and he scheduled an ultrasound at 8 weeks, just wondering how early they were able to tell for you :) Thanks!
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin second round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

Albrecht0529 replied to rooni222's response:
Thats great to hear rooni! That just leaves one thing to focus on. What are you doing for meds next cycle?
Me: 23 PCOS - Bicornuate uterus - Long luteal phase DH: 23 Ready to go! TTC for almost a year. Starting our 4th round of Clomid.

mabeline12 replied to Jessi10909's response:
First off Congrats!! Its so exciting isn't it! 6 weeks and 3 days was my first ultrasound and they confirmed multiples then.

rooni222 replied to Albrecht0529's response:
My doc wants to try clomid one more time before we move onto injectibles. i'll be trying 150mg clomid in sept since i just had a period. i dont think it'll work but unfornately i cant jump ahead :(

FrenchBulldogMom replied to rooni222's response:
I didn't want to do Femara/Ovidrel and IUI, but my doctor didn't move us up to IVF until we'd tried the less expensive methods. I wanted to do IVF immediately. Now we've lost at least 6 months.
When my IUI was BFN, I took Femara for another cycle and grew a large cyst on my ovary. Now, I have to go in for another hysteroscapy/polypectomy/d&c. They have to do this with me fully sedated in an outpatient hospital OR.
I just want to start on IVF and get this entire nightmare over with!
TTC since Feb 2009, D

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I were married April 2005. We started TTC in August of 2005 b/c we knew that due to my family history we would have difficulty conceivi...More

Helpful Tips

PCOS tips
I am currently on Metformin 2000 for PCOS and these are some tips my doctor gave me, hopefully they can be helpful to you also! Weight ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.