Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Failed Clomid, first CY with Femara and Ovidrel trigger
megwhite1985 posted:
Hello Everyone,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Femara and Ovidrel trigger shot.

Quick history: I have PCOS and primary infertility. My DH and I have been TTC for nearly 2 yrs. His SA came back wonderful, so it is just myself with the problem. I did five CYs with Various strengths of Clomid and never had any follies develop enough to use the trigger shot, the biggest one only made it to 12 mm. After months of never getting past that step, we took about six months off, and now are ready to start again.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Femara and what some of the SE may be, etc... My RE is going to have us try Femara 5 mg CD 3-7 and then if a follicle develops we will do the trigger shot and timed intercourse since DH SA was wonderful and all my other tests were good. If that isn't successful in 3 CYs then we will move onto IUI.

Thank you so much for any and all info!

mabeline12 responded:
Hi meg, I did one cycle with femara. I had no side effects, like I did from the clomid... But I was resistant to both the clomid and the femara. I didn't produce follicles from either really or if I did, they weren't even close to big enough. From that cycle I ended up moving onto injectables. My dh sa was great too so all we did was timed intercourse. The injectables worked for us. I'm taking it you are being monitored by u/s durring your cycle to see/measure folicle size? I would just say (and this is a lot easier said than done) if the femara doesn't work like you plan try not to get too discouraged because there are still options after. I hope everything goes great and this is the treatment that works for you and your dh! Please keep us posted on how your cycle is going!

Prayforamiracle responded:
Hi and welcome to the board! I'm sorry for all your trouble trying to conceive. I wish I could answer your Femara question, but I haven't taken it. I have tried Clomid once so far and didn't respond well either. I hope you stay around with us. I look forward to chatting with you.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 26.

wantingbabymiracles responded:
My husband and I just took a 4 month break from trying. I think the time helped us both tons. I just had my 1st cycle since we started tring again. I had been doing Clomid 100mg and nothing was happening, so this time we did 5mg of femara along with my 500 metformin. I had an U/S on CD16 and much to my surprise, a follicle just over 2cm! I was so excited I couldn't contain myself. Its the 1st one I've had on U/S. On CD18 I got a positive OPK so now we're "busy" :) I also did days 3-7 and had very little SE, just an occasional headache. Nothing compared to the Clomid! Overall my experience with femara has been good, I hope it works for you...Good Luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! It all started last December (2010) when I went to visit my OBGYN after not seeing AF for 8 months after stopping my birth control pills. After a ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.