Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Should I try Femara?
rooni222 posted:
Hi Ladies,

So after my HSG, my doctor wants to do one last cycle of clomid 150mg. So i'll be doing that next month. I would jump right into injectables, but she wants to do that first. It never really occured to me that maybe i should try femara. i didnt really think about it because i heard that it can cause really bad birth defects. I didnt even talk to my doctor about that so i dont even know what her position is on using femara. i've emailed her but she is out of the office. In the meanwhile, i just wanted to know more about your expiriences with it. is there someone who was resistant to clomid but femara worked for them? what does your doctor say about it?

thanks ladies!

Prayforamiracle responded:
My doctor has brought up Femara also, but I'm so hesitant about it. I know so many people have tried it, but it is so scary. I wish I could help give you some advice. Hopefully, this next round of Clomid will be all you need.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 27.

CEB85 responded:
Hi Rooni222,

Personally, I would stick with the clomid and if that doesn't work move onto injectables. If you move to Femera they'll probably start you on a low dose again and want you to work your way up to higher dosage like Clomid. I had one Dr. tell me he prefers to stick with one type of medication until you've gone all the way up on the dosage before starting another. I'm afraid if you moved to Femera they'd make you try the whole scale again.
Now, on my last cycle of Clomid at 150 I actually did ovulate, just late. I was pretty upset because I had been told by my RE that it appeared to be working and had to go back a couple days later to see if I could trigger. Well I couldn't see my regular Dr. that day and they guy filling in said there was nothing there. He missed the follicle and started me on provera. So just remember you may just ovulate late on the clomid, I've always heard that's possible. So anyways, we missed our chance that time. Since I had already received my injectables I moved straight onto them. My RE told me there was No Way I wouldn't ovulate on the injectables so I was really pushing to move onto them. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Albrecht0529 replied to CEB85's response:
I agree!! My last cycle on Clomid, I took it days 4-8 and ovulated on day 18. (and I ended up getting my BFP on day 29). So, yes you really can ovulate late! I haven't looked into Femera yet, but from what I heard trying injectables has seemed to work for a lot of people. Hope this next cycle goes great! Good luck :)
Me: 23 PCOS - Bicornuate uterus - Long luteal phase DH: 23 Ready to go! TTC for almost a year. Starting our 4th round of Clomid.

rooni222 replied to Albrecht0529's response:
Thank you Ladies! that makes sense. i definately dont want to delay going onto injections. I've tried clomid 50mg, 100mg, 150mg, and metformin plus clomid 100mg. None of those worked, so i doubt that this round will work, but i have to do it since my doctor wants me to.

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
Femara caused me to grow 4 follicles the first month, but we got a BFN. The next month, it made one follicle so large, it turned into a cyst. Then, I grew another uterine polyp. I never wanted to do IUIs and Femara, just go straight to IVF.

There is a card from the manufacturer for 30 days of pills free. Ask your doctor if they have any. My doctor has seen way more success stories with Femara than with Clomid.
TTC since Feb 2009, D

Jessi10909 responded:
Hey Rooni! My doc had talked about using Femara in a couple months if we hadn't had success. He had told me that I would take the Femara the same days that I had been taking Clomid (Day 5-9) and that way it would help me ovulate, but would be out of my system before conception, so the defects wouldn't be a concern. I was very scared about all of the bad press about Femara for fertility purposes.
I have heard a lot of the ladies have had luck with injectibles, but my doc was going to skip over them and go from Clomid to Femara.
Don't give up on your next cycle yet! I had done the same thing"026 I was on the same dosage of Clomid for the 3rd month in a row and if that one didn't work Doc was going to double the dose. I wanted to double dose right away and thought the same dose AGAIN was pointless and the whole month was a waste"026 but I got my BFP right on day 28 so have hope and good luck!!
DH (38) and I (25) have been TTC my 1st, his 3rd since Jan. 2008 Currently on 1000mg Metformin second round of clomid... fingers crossed! Good Luck everyone!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, Im married we have a daughter, Ive had 2 mc and a Tubal that caused me to lose my rt tube. We recently adopted our nephew age 4. I have PCOS an...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.