Skip to content
Ovarian drilling
KMcEntire posted:
Hi all,

I just wanted to know if any of you had had any experience with ovarian drilling? I have just completed my fourth cycle of provera/femara and my ob-gyn wants to schedule an appointment to talk about ovarian drilling. I am interested in learning more about it, but also if there is anything else we should consider before hand.
Me (23)(PCOS) and DH (23) TTC our first for a year now. Currently on 1500mg Metformin daily, Provera for ten days and Femara 2.5 for CD 3-7.

prayforamiracle responded:
Welcome to the board! I'm sorry, but I personally do not have any experience with ovarian drilling. There is someone here that has, hopefully she will respond to your post. I look forward to chatting with you.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 27.

rooni222 replied to prayforamiracle's response:
Hi KMcEntire,

I asked my doctor about ovarian drilling and this was her response:

It can cause scarring.
It can cause early menopause.
If nothing else works it is a good idea

I know each doctor has a different opinion. Some use it, others prefer not to. One thing to note is with all its complications, it is about the same in efficacy as injectable gonadotropins. Also, it is not permanant. If you go to pubmed.org and type in ovarian drilling, you can find studies done on it.
However, i suppose it depends on the doctor. If this is something your doctor does often and is very good at it, then you might not expirience the effects. I have not had it, and as you can tell from my doctor's opinions, i dont think she prefers it either.

I hope this helps.

KMcEntire replied to rooni222's response:
Thank you Rooni222!

Thank you for the information! I have done a little online research and gotten some mixed answers. It seems 50/50 of people that it worked vs. it didn't. I am scheduled to talk to my OB-GYN on the 23rd and discuss options. I am curious as to why he recommends jumping from Femara to ovarian drilling. I will let you all know what I find out.
Me (23)(PCOS) and DH (23) TTC our first for a year now. Currently on 1500mg Metformin daily, Provera for ten days and Femara 2.5 for CD 3-7.

KMcEntire replied to KMcEntire's response:
I talked with my OBGYN a little more about it and I decided I want to try some other avenues before going through with the drilling. He suggested that he could refer me to a RE. I think we will just continue to take it a step at a time. The next step is to get a semen analysis then consider a HSG(?) (the xray with contrast to determine blockage) and follow with a few rounds of Clomid. The femara didn't work so onto something different.

prayforamiracle replied to KMcEntire's response:
I think that is a good suggestion from your obgyn. Keep us posted. Wishing you good luck!
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 28.

dmf500 replied to rooni222's response:
Hi,
I had ovarian drilling 1 year ago and it put me into early menopause. I got one period after the surgery and then that was it. So, I would not recommend it!
Good Luck, Donna

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2001, after years of irregular cycles since a D & C in 1994. No one could figure out what the problem could be. When ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.