Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin????
CEB85 posted:
Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't been on much this past month. I guess I just sort of isolated myself the past couple of weeks and tried not to think of this whole ttc thing. I hope everyone is doing well.
I would like to get your opinions on something. I know a few of you have taken or are currently taking Metformin and I'd like to know your thoughts on it.
Here is my issue. I am not insulin resistant, I don't have a lot of the common characteristics of PCOS. Yesterday I had my post D&C consultation with my RE after our genetics testing results came on the fetal tissue and all came back normal. So the plan is to stay on the same routine. Injectables combined with Dexamethosone. Metformin was brought up. My RE said that he has not seen enough evidence to make him say that Metformin will help reduce miscarriage. However, he said if I want it he will prescribe it for me, he said it will not hurt me or a fetus, its just that the side effects I'm being told can be pretty rough. In my mind I say if its not going to hurt me or a fetus I'm willing to take it and deal with the side effects in case it were to help prevent miscarriage. I will do whatever it takes. My Dh says he'll support me in what I decide but he's afraid of the side effects being so bad and if I do get pregnant I could be really sick. When I was pregnant I had a hard time eating and had to force myself to eat almost every day, all day.
I'm leaning more towards taking it, but I'm just curious what some of your thoughts on this is.
If AF doesn't come I can take provera starting Oct. 7th and get things started again. So at that time I will give my RE my decision. I'm also wondering if starting metformin at the same time is a good idea. Does it take time for the metformin to kick in?
Thanks,

rooni222 responded:
Hi CEB85,

It good to hear from you! thank you for your wishes

Metformin side effects vary with each person. Some expirience a lot more than others. In my expirience, the side effects were there BUT not bad at all. My biggest side effect was minor stomach pain and/or diarhea. However, there are things you can do to eliviate the side effects such as always take pills with food. i take my pills right in the middle of a meal. Avoid anything greasy or fattening. If i did have a fancy meal out and i took metformin i honestly didnt see a difference but i've read that it helps if food is not greasy or fattening. Also, if side effects so occur they will subside and not keep on occuring. Metformin is started gradually. you will start with one pill, move onto two, then 3 until you are where you need to be. so by the time you are pregnant, your body will already be used to metformin.

In all honesty, so far i havent seen anything that will suggest that metformin is doing anything for me. But, if you are hesitating to take because of the side effects, then please dont hesitate. If it is helpful, the benefits by far outweigh the side effects. Its supposed to help with ovulation as well. it didnt really help me, but it might work wonders for you.

Finally i think it comes down to will you keep wondering. If your doctor doesnt think it'll do anything for you and you dont need it and you can accept that then dont take it. However, if you will keep wondering what if? then definately take it. I guess in the end even though it didnt help me with ovulation, i would take it because insulin does play a part in PCOS women, i am hoping that even if it didnt make me ovulate, its helping me in other ways.

argh, i am rambling! ok basically my 2 cents. Take it, cant hurt to try.

CEB85 replied to rooni222's response:
Thank you SOO much!

I guess my main concern right now is that since I'll be starting the metformin around the same time I'd be starting injectables that my body would still be getting used to the medication.
I think it would just be a low dose since I'm not insulin resistant and I'm not using it for ovulation since I'm taking the injectables. This is to be more of a preventative measure to reduce chance of miscarriage. I've read several places that some Dr's feel it reduces chances of miscarriage in PCOS from 45% to 9%. I just don't want to be having bad side effects from the metformin and have that cause problems should I get pregnant. But at the same time I don't want to put off trying now to give myself more time to get used to the metformin. I'm sure I'm just over thinking this. I just want to make the best decision. My Dr doesn't feel it necessary but if I should lose another pregnancy and not be on the metformin I'll always wonder could it have been prevented. I'm leaning more towards taking it and just seeing how it goes. Sorry for all the rambling

CEB85 replied to CEB85's response:
I decided to go ahead and try the metformin. I called my RE office and I go in tomorrow for blood work before I get the prescription. I'm not exactly sure what the blood work is for but they said they should have the results in the afteroon.
Does anyone know if you have to take the Metformin for a certain amount of time before starting on injectables or any medication? I'm set to start provera next Friday the 7th. I don't want to start the Metformin if I have to wait to take the provera. I meant to ask when I talked to the nurse today and forgot.

Prayforamiracle responded:
Rooni had some great information and I thought I would add my experience too. I do think I remember the doctor saying it could take several months, to start seeing any results from the Metformin.

I have taken 1500 mg of Extended Release Metformin for over sixteen months. I'm also not insulin resistant. In that time, obviously I haven't got to see if it helps prevent miscarriage. I can say, I do not think it has helped me be regular or ovulate more at all. So, that has been disappointing to me. It did take about nine months for my diarrhea to improve, but I still have issues with it at times. I want to stop taking it, mainly because I'm horribly paranoid about taking medications. I know this isn't possible, but I have in the back of my mind that by taking this it will increase my chances of developing diabetes one day. Everyone is different, and it is hard to say how it will be for you. It took me a long time as well to agree to try it. Wishing you the best whatever you decide.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 28.

curiousnmo replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
I had horrible side effects from the metformin.. finally after three months I mentioned the extended release form to my dr. because my husband switched to it because it was making him sick. I have been taking the extended release and have no side effects at all. I feel fine. I wish I had started taking these sooner but at last my dr. did not even think of it. Good luck to you!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am currently 17 1/2 years old, have had irregular/non-existent menstrual cycles since I was almost 15, and thinking about trying to conceive my firs...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.