Skip to content
???Metformin + Provera???
summer_ryan posted:
Hey everyone! My husband and I have been TTC for about a year now. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 20. I went to the Dr. today and was prescribed Provera (for 5 days) and Metformin (500mg). I just wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with Metformin and how quickly did it work?!? I don't think I can stand to wait another month. I would really appreciate any feedback asap! Thanks so much!

KMcEntire responded:
Hi summer_ryan,

Welcome! I think it varies per person if Metformin works for them. I've heard 3-4 months from some, and others it's been longer. It also takes a while for it to build up in your system. My Dr. prescribed me to take 500 once a day for a week and then work up to 1500 a day. My body didn't handle the 1500 well, and I could only take 1000. Keep us posted!
Me (23)(PCOS) and DH (23) TTC our first for a little over a year now. Tried Femara, looking at other options.

summer_ryan replied to KMcEntire's response:
Thanks KMcEntire! My Dr. prescribed me one 500mg pill a day for 5 days then I need to take two a day for 5 days...Then it goes to three for another 5 days...THEN four a day...So basically she wants me to take 2000mg a day, but I just started the pill yesterday and I am having horrible stomach pain, cramps, nausea, and diarrhea!!! So I'm just a little scared to be getting to 4 pills a day...Hopefully my body will respond well! But I can handle it because if it brings me the wonderful gift a baby then I'll tough it out! I go Monday to get tested for diabetes which I am completely nervous about...I've been told that I am pre diabetic. How will this affect my chances if I am? My Dr. also told me that if this didn't work after 4 months that they would start me on Clomid... Thanks again...I really love that there are women here that know what I am going through and are here to help.

rooni134 responded:
Hi,

I have been on metformin 2000mg for about 8 months now. I was not ovulating at all before i started it. metformin alone did not work for me (it didnt start ovulation). However, i am hoping that it worked in regulating insulin and therefore testosterone etc. Before i tried metformin i tried clomid just by itself which did not work for me either. i even tried metformin clomid that did not work either. No ovulation at all. I finally had to jump to injectable fertility medication.
Anyways, each person is different. my doctor said that there is a 33% that metformin alone will work for a woman with pcos, if not then clomid metformin have increased chances too. i've also heard that it can take upto 8 months for metformin to work on its own, but i dont see why you would want to wait that long. even 4 months seems too long to wait. If you're ok with waiting, then thats fine. But if you are anxious to start trying, i would say give metformin a couple of months and then add clomid. There is no guarantee that metformin on its own will work, but clomid is supposed to work for the majority of women.
That being said, if your doctor wants you to take metformin for 4 months to regulate your levels first then i suppose it makes sense to use metformin for however long he or she suggests.
All in all, its really upto you and how quickly you want to get the ball rolling if ovulation is the only factor.

Hang in there! it'll happen

Albrecht0529 replied to summer_ryan's response:
Sorry, I can't be much help. I never took metformin. Clomid made me ovulate though!

Prayforamiracle replied to summer_ryan's response:
Hi! Welcome to the board!

I take 1500mg of Metformin and have taken it for over a year now. It is different with everyone, just like other medications. I really haven't seen help with it, but I know it works wonders for others. I really don't think the doc planned on me taking it this long. The plan was to get the Metformin in my system and start Clomid. We have only been able to try Clomid once, due to DH's job and scheduling. I really hope it does the trick for you and you will soon be on your way to a BFP!!!!
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 29.

summer_ryan replied to Prayforamiracle's response:
Thanks everyone for all the responses...I am really counting on Metformin to work, but if after 4 months and no baby then I will definitely be taking Clomid! I keep praying that Metformin will work and who knows maybe this cycle will be the one!!! I would love for it to happen before Christmas!!! It would be the best gift I could ever receive!
Has anyone been having side effects with the Metformin...I have the most horrible cramps and some major bowel movements lol

KMcEntire replied to summer_ryan's response:
The side effects from Metformin can be quite intense. I too had these "tummy troubles" and I think a lot of women do. It helped when I was switched to the extended release though. I still had to figure out what was right for me, taking with meals or not, taking at certain times of the day, etc. But after a couple of weeks it seemed to subside. Hopefully they will get better!
Me (23)(PCOS) and DH (23) TTC our first for a little over a year now. Tried Femara, looking at other options.

blondiebon18 replied to KMcEntire's response:
lurking from pregnancy after infertility board....

Me and DH had been TTC for over a year, I was diagnosed with PCOS. I started Met 500 mg in August 2010. I was bumped to 1,000 mg Met extended release in December 2010. I got my BFP in March. I stayed on 500 mg during my first trimester. I am due next week (Nov 22nd)
Good luck! Met worked for me! I had lots of the tummy problems at first until my body got used to it. I also lost 25 pounds from the Met because I changed my diet because the Met made me have diarrhea if I ate greasy/bad foods.

curiousnmo responded:
I was on Provera for 2 months. It made me very sick.. I didn't take the whole two pills a day I was supposed to work up too. I could handle about half a pill a day. I was also prescribed metformin 1500 mg a day. I have been on that since August. I didn't take the correct dose the first few months. The metformin made me so sick.. stomach problems. Then last month I asked my dr. to give me extended release metformin. I have no problems at all from it. I take two 500mg pills a day. I think that it is helping me more than the other pill. So praying that I ovulate soon.

bdwitherite responded:
the metformin made me horribly sick they gave it to me to try to stop the bleeding by causing my uterus to burn itself out as the doc put it however it made me anemic and didnt do what they said it would....i was diagnosed finally with pcos 9 doctors later ask your doctor to give you estrostep that is what one of my doctors gave me and i got pregnant with my son good luck concieving

HeIsNcontrol replied to bdwitherite's response:
Hello, I am new to metformin myself and i agree it is making me very sick i was told to take 2000mg daily to start regular cycles... everybody takes medication differently some things make work for others and not for you. I am praying that the lord heals my body, just hang in there i know its rough..

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 24 (25 in August) TTC for 3+ years. Diagnosed with PCOS 1/2007. 4 failed rounds of Clomid 2007. Moved on to Inj. Stopped mid-cycle. DH & I...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.