Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Newbie here!
mommachip posted:
Yep... newbie to this blog! I am sure some of these questions have been answered before, but please bear with me. I am 35 and just recently my husband and I decided to have children, or at least one child!

Back in 2008 a small cyst on my ovary was found. So my doctor changed up my bc pills to help get rid of the cyst. Which worked... however I ended up having multiple pulmonary emboli in both of my lungs. I do not have any genetic factors or dispositions, and the doctors all believe I got them due to taking a new form of birth control pills. So I have been off the pill for over 3 years now.

We weren't exactly "trying" during this time, but due to not taking pills, we weren't doing anything to try either. But I never gave it much thought that I hadn't gotten pregnant.

Growing up I never really had "regular" periods, but once I started bc pills, they were fine. Earlier this year, now that I had been off of the bc pills, I started having irregular bleeding. I would bleed for 3 weeks straight. I had a dnc and they couldn't find anything. That seemed to help regulate me for a while.

It happened again where I bled for a week, nothing for a day or so, then bleed again for a week, then nothing. Then again for a week I would bleed. So I went back to my dr.

She had me wait to take blood tests until during my cycle, which I did. Which is when she determined that I have PCOS.

So, besides extra types of vitamins she has me taking, I am taking metformin and clomid. I took my first round of 50mg Clomid last month, and a blood test was done on the 20th day of my cycle, which showed I had ovulated. But... no pregnancy.

I JUST finished up my second cycle of clomid and am waiting to see if it works this time! I bought an ov kit, and am waiting for that happy face to appear...

So... questions....:
-How long have most of you been on Clomid before reaching success (if you have?).
-Have you had any side effects? I so far haven't had any, but I'm only on the 50mg, so I don't know if that is why I haven't had any.
-Does the metformin help you concieve, or just make your body a more viable candidate?
-What do you normally do after your round of Clomid? Meaning, do you see a dr right away for testing (i.e. bloodwork, ultrasound etc?)? Because after my test last month the doctor just said to call her when I thought I would be pregnant... She didn't really say that I can't stay on the Clomid for long; and she didn't tell me to take any more tests. Is this normal?? I like my doctor, but I've read through a few of your posts and it seems as if you all are getting ultrasounds a lot too?

Thanks for any help, advice, success stories, and recommendations to help me out on our journey. I know I've waited a while to have a family, but I just didn't think it would be this difficult

CEB85 responded:
Hi mommachip, Welcome!

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Are you seeing an RE?

How long on clomid? I don't remember exactly how long I took the clomid. They increase it by 50mg each cycle if you're not responding. I never once responded (ovulated) on clomid. I started at 50mg and went to 150 mg.

Side Effects? Yes, I was so irritable. The littlest thing would set me off. I finally realized it was from the clomid and made a conscious effort to calm down hehe. I'm normally a very calm person, but wow... there were times I almost lost it ha.

Metformin? I am on metformin but only because I m/c twins this past August. Metformin is believed to reduce chances of m/c. I'm not insulin resistant but its definitely helped me lose some weight. I wasn't really over weight but it helped. I've heard that losing weight helps to regulate periods.

After clomid? For me, since I did not respond to clomid I moved onto injectables. That is where you get the u/s monitoring. They have to measure follicles size and how many while on injectables to make sure you're responding correctly and not over stimulating.

The way everything worked for me was my ob/gyn discovered I have PCOS after I went to her for irregular periods when I went off bc and we started to ttc. I started the clomid. They would do blood work to see if I ovulated and that was it. After a few months I was referred to an RE. With the PCOS she felt and RE could help me better. The RE had me do a lot of blood work, I had an HSG as well. The only thing other than the obvious PCOS was that I produce way too much progesterone so I was put on dexamethasone while taking clomid/injectables to reduce the production of testosterone from the ovaries so that follicles could grow. We tried clomid a couple more months and then my Dr. decided that we need to move onto injectables. I respond nicely to injectables and we do back to back IUI's. My first IUI was a success. We ended up with twins only to miscarry at 8 weeks.
We've tried a couple times since being allowed to start again. We have to sit the month out after the IUI's because I develop cysts from the injectables which is common. We actually have a consult this Wednesday for IVF. So we'll see how that goes.

I hope I answered your questions, if there is anything else I can answer for you please ask. I understand how difficult this stuff can be and we all need to stick together
I don't know anyone personally who has been going through this and this board has really helped me get through some really tough times the past year and a half.

mommachip replied to CEB85's response:
Thanks for the response CEB85. What is an RE?? I am guessing I don't have one if I don't know what it is!

The clomid worked for me last month (as far as ovulating), but of course I didn't end up getting pregnant. But at least I know it did what the Dr was wanting it to do. The rest I guess is up to me.. and my husband of course! haha!

What are IUI's? I'm not really overweight either, but I lack progesterone I guess (which is also why I am not ovulating) and so that is why she has me on Metformin and I take a progesterone cream every night.

At any rate... I am hoping to ovulate here in the next day or two... so we're giving it a whirl to see if it works this month!

I'm pretty new to really actively trying so I don't have all the lingo down (RE, IUI, BFP? BFN?)...

It sounds like you have been through a lot I really hope things work out for you too. I can't imagine the heartache you have had to go through so far.

Thanks again for the reply!! Helpful info!

CEB85 replied to mommachip's response:
Hi,
Good luck, I hope you ovulate soon and end up with a BFP (Big Fat Positive). I'm glad you respond to clomid, its the easiest and cheapest way to make things work.

RE is a reproductive endocrinologist, basically someone who specialized in infertility.

IUI is intrauterine insemination. Basically they take the sperm and clean it and then it is put directly into the uterus so that they're in the right place and hopefully the right time.

BFP - Big Fat Positive
BFN - Big Fat Negative
DH - Dear Husband
TTC - Trying to Conceive

I think those are the main abbreviations you might be seeing. Feel free to ask if anymore pop up.

I also realized I typed that I had way too much progesterone. I meant to say way too much testosterone. After my IUI's I have to take a progesterone suppository. Not my favorite thing in the world but beats progesterone injections. I've heard they're very painful.

Good luck!

prayforamiracle responded:
Welcome Mommachip!!!! So glad you decided to join us! I'm close to your age and ttc. We have been trying for five years and experienced one loss. I have taken Clomid three times for a total of two cycles. The first time I took 100mg and didn't ovulate. This cycle I took 150mg and nothing, so they started me right away on 200mg the same cycle. I ended up producing one follicle and we just did an IUI this week. The only side effects I have encountered with Clomid is hot flashes. I see a RE as well, so they tend to do a lot more monitoring. They want to first see that you do not have any cysts in the beginning of the cycle, before they prescribe any meds. Then, they check you after you have taken the meds to see if they are working. It is also a chance for them to check your lining as well, as Clomid has been known to thin the lining. I hope this helps a little and I hope you are blessed with a pregnancy really soon. I look forward to chatting with you!
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. Currently on Cycle 30.

mommachip replied to CEB85's response:
Thanks for the help on abbreviations!! So far my doc is going to try 3 months of Clomid at 50mg and see. Since I ovulated, we're hoping it's all just a matter of better timing for the BFP (huh? Learning the lingo right?! Haha). She hasn't decided to send me to an RE yet. When she did the DNC last year everything looked good so she really thinks its more about regulating my cycle to ovulate.

As everyone knows its exciting and frustrating all in one! No one wants to make sex a must or a demand, cuz it sure does take the fun out of it!!

I'll keep you posted. My big fertile days are coming up!! So we are gonna work hard this weekend!!

I hope your IUI turns out to be successful!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!! Baby Dust right??!!!!

mommachip replied to prayforamiracle's response:
I read your stats... Wow! You have been through the ringer. I've only just begun and it's been torture trying and testing every month. I'm sure at 30 months it's really trying. But I know it will all be worth it when you get to hold your little one. And yes, we are close in age. And DH is 41 as well so we definitely are doing this a little later on life than others. But I wouldn't trade my life before this either. I've had the chance to do so much. And now were ready to start our family.

I'm still new to all this stuff. I'm on day 12 of my cycle. 50mg of Clomid taken on days 3-7. I'm not sure what milligrams of Metformin? That's fairly new too but I should know! And a progesterone cream daily except when AF shows.

I hope your IUI works for you this go around and you are blessed as well!!

I have a cousin who is going through the same thing so I've been somewhat lucky in having someone to chat with. But we both don't know much about it all either. We both are on the blogs and try to keep each other motivated. But it's so nice to have so many other women to talk to. I'm sure you get questions all the time about having kids. We have said all along to people that if it happens it happens. And I think most people have realized to leave us alone. We haven't even told our families about really trying, or the problems. I would rather let them just be surprised if we are so lucky to be blessed with a baby. Rather than ask us every month how it's going or if it worked etc... So it's nice to be able to talk about it all and learn so much. There are some great success stories here, along with those who are still struggling. And it's great that there is something for everyone here to be able to vent, ask questions, share stories and just listen. I look forward to getting to know you and everyone else too. Thanks for sharing!!

blondiebon18 responded:
Lurking...
I just wanted to tell you my story. I have PCOS, we TTC for 2 years, I started seeing a RE, he put me on 1000mg of Met 2x daily. I got my BFP after being on the Met for 6 cycles (7 months). I had my miracle son on 11/25/11. I just wanted to say that the Met worked for us, and we are so grateful! Don't give up hope, remember the darkest hour always comes before the dawn. ***HUGS***

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, Im married we have a daughter, Ive had 2 mc and a Tubal that caused me to lose my rt tube. We recently adopted our nephew age 4. I have PCOS an...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.