Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Metformin
Lin_Lou posted:
Because my blood work was all so good, my RE didn't think I needed to be on Metformin while taking Clomid. A couple cycles have gone by and I'm still ovulating later than they want me to. I'm curious to know if there's any of you ladies out there that take Metforming even if your blood work didn't call for it? I'm thinking it can't hurt, right? I'll take anything or do anything to start a family. I was thinking about calling my dr office to ask them about this but figured I'd see what you all had to say first.

CEB85 responded:
Hi, I know its quite common to be on Metformin even if your blood work doesn't really call for it. There are various reasons to give it a try. My RE said that he has a lot of women on it even though blood work doesn't say they need it. He said if the patient asks for it he wont tell them no because it can't hurt.
I'm currently on it and I'm not insulin resistant and blood work showed no need for it. However, its believed to reduce chances of miscarriages in women with PCOS. After I lost twins last August I decided to go on it just in case. He said it wont harm a fetus or myself so he would allow me to take it. Its a little rough to get used to it but once you do its not too bad. The worse thing for me is that I just don't have an appetite while on it. I'm not really overweight but it has helped me to loose weight which is also why some take it as well. Losing extra weight can help regulate cycles.
Good luck

Lin_Lou replied to CEB85's response:
Thanks for your response. I will definitely ask my RE if that's something she would consider doing. It never hurts to ask right? Plus, if it doesn't do any harm, then why not?!

prayforamiracle responded:
I too take Metformin, although I'm not insulin resistant. My RE thought it could still possibly regulate my periods (it doesn't) and lower miscarriage chances. I think the fact that it lowers miscarriage rates, is enough for me as well.
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
  • lurking*

My doctor put me on Metformin even though my bloodwork didn't call for it because it does help with PCOS and ttc. He said that they don't really know how it helps, but he's seen it help lots of women in my same situation. I ended up having 2 surgeries (polyp removals), 1 failed IUI, and 1 successful IVF. I'm now almost 6 months pregnant with my twins and I'm still on Metformin. My doctors think that it will help me not develop gestational diabetes.

Ask your doctor about it. Maybe he or she will decide to prescribe it for you, if you express concern.
    TTC since Feb 2009, D
  •  
    Lin_Lou replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
    I just posted a question asking about uterine polyps. I just had one removed. Did your RE think removing the polyp(s) made a difference in your success???

FrenchBulldogMom replied to Lin_Lou's response:
    According to my RE, my uterine polyps were acting like natural birth control, like an IUD. We were trying to have a baby for over 2 years and had no idea that our chances were pretty close to 0% because any possible embryos wouldn't be able to stick, because there were sooooo many polyps in there. Also, I have never ovulated on my own, that I know of. I hate PCOS.

I had to move on to IVF because of several factors: My age (35), Femara caused me to grow a cyst, my polyps grew back, and low numbers on my husband's SA. I'd definitely ask my doctor if I were you if the polyps are your biggest hurdle. With yours gone, you're definitely much closer to your goal.

Baby dust!!!
    Me 35, DH 36, TTC since 2009, IVF Oct 2011, BFP Twins!!! Due Date 7-18-2012!!!!

Lin_Lou replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
    Thank you for your input. I'm sorry you've had to go through everything you listed. What a stressful time. I'm glad you're onto greener pastures. Yay!

I sure hope that getting rid of these polyps will definitely help us in getting our family started. Reading what you typed me back really makes me feel like at least one of our stumbling blocks is eliminated...for now anyway.

Thanks again for your input and kind words. Fingers crossed!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Was dx with PCOS at 17/18. Been ttc a little over 2 years with my DH. I have a great RE that we are working with, unfortunately my body is no cooperat...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.