Skip to content
Here we go...
CEB85 posted:
I had my ultrasound appointment yesterday and was told that so far things look perfect. I have been on the Lupron injections for 18 days now. And tonight I start the Gonal-F and a few more pills, and things are just now starting to sink in that I'm about to do IVF... And man, I'm getting scared! I'm not afraid of the shots, or the surgery or procedures. Its the thought of What if this doesn't work? Or what if it does work, will I have another miscarriage. This is the first time of going through this stuff I'm actually scared. I'm trying to think positive, but I'm so afraid of being too positive and set myself up for a huge let down. I'm trying to stay neutral but that's hard to do too. I just feel like a mess right now. I know it doesn't help with my hormones being all out of whack too. I mean, I even got teary eyed watching biggest loser Ha. And I'm not an emotional person or someone who cries easily.
As of right now they're thinking they'll do the retrieval March 17th, transfer 3 to 5 days later. Then they would do a blood draw 2 weeks later to check for pregnancy. That would mean that it would be on March 31st. Which, was to be our Due date with our twins. I don't think I'd get the results the same day since its a weekend but that's already going to be a rough day in its own.
I need to stop thinking ahead so much and just take each day as it comes.
Sorry for such a long and rambling post, guess I needed to vent a bit.

Lin_Lou responded:
You feel however it is that you need to feel. You're completely allowed to be up and down and all over the place. These medicines we're all on definitely have a tendency to make us into different people. But this is how I look at, if ever there is a reason to be emotional, trying to bring a life into the world is it!

Also, your retrieval is on St. Patrick's Day! You're starting off on a day of good luck! That's got to mean something, right?!?!

Good luck and God bless!

prayforamiracle responded:
I'm so excited for you that this is happening! I can't imagine how nervous you must feel, I feel like a complete mess with my IUI cycles. You will somehow get through this, when you think of what might be at the end. Try to focus on each day only or each step. That is what I had to do with the IUI cycles, and it helped so much. If I looked at the whole picture, I would practically have a panic attack. I have high hopes for you, with the IVF process. Please keep us posted each step of the way!
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

CEB85 responded:
Thank you both so much for your replies.

Ya know, I knew the 17th was St. Patrick's Day, but it never even dawned on me that it would be a lucky day! And I'm Irish! haha.

rooni134 replied to CEB85's response:
Hi CEB,

i am so excited for you. i'll be crossing all my fingers and toes! you are in my prayers and i hope that this is it for you.

i can understand how you feel. if i was in your place i would scared too. infact, i still am. even though i am so far along, i still think something bad might happen...

what i can tell you is that most days are good though, and they will be for you too. the chances of success are much greater.

hope all goes well,

rooni

CEB85 responded:
I had my ultra sound yesterday and so far things are looking good. As of right now I have 8 follicles within the range they're looking for within the time frame. There are lots of others but were still smaller than they hope to see. They kept me on the same dosage and I go back in on Thursday to see how we're doing. I hope we get a few more follicles to add to the 8. I should know Thursday exactly when my retrieval will be. They're now thinking either Sunday or Monday. So we shall see.

prayforamiracle replied to CEB85's response:
Yay for the eight! I hope they continue to grow and develop perfectly! I'm so excited for you and nervous. It is getting closer. How are you doing with all the meds?
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

CEB85 replied to prayforamiracle's response:
Hi,
I'm doing ok with all the meds. I don't feel quite as hormonal crazy as I thought I would haha. I'm more "uncomfortable" than anything. Our embryologist said that ovaries are normally the size of the tip of your thumb, after the the stimulation meds they're about the size of my fists, so yeah that's a bit uncomfortable. I think since we've started this round I've had to give/get over 30 shots so far and I've got a lot more yet... Those dreaded progesterone injections. I'm so nervous about getting those. I've heard they're just terrible. When the nurse showed DH how to use them at this morning's u/s appointment the needle looked like a freaking nail! That's even what the nurse called it, a nail. Oh well, I'll do what it takes to get a baby. At todays appointment, If I understood correctly we have 6 follicles ready to go right now. They're planning on doing the retrieval Sunday and hopefully by then I'll have 8 or 10 follicles but all might not give a mature egg. Kind of confused on some of that but I just do as the nurse tells me and go on my way. I do one more injection of 300 gonal f tonight, one injection of lupron tomorrow morning. Go back in tomorrow morning for another u/s and blood work. They will then tell me what time Friday night to have DH give me the trigger shot. Go back in Saturday morning for another u/s and blood work just to make sure everything is still on track. Then retrieval Sunday morning. And transfer either Wednesday or Friday. And my RE told me today that he will use anesthesia for the transfer since my uterus is not easy to get into. And that's where we're at right now. I'm excited and really scared all at the same time.

Checking in to see what is happening!!! So excited for you and hoping for the best!!! Update when you can.

I had the egg retrieval yesterday morning. We were hoping to retrieve 10 eggs. After it was over we found out we had 17 eggs!!! Dh and I were really excited to hear that. This morning the tech from the lab called and said that out of the 17 eggs, 14 were fertilized! We're super excited about that number. They have froze 7 of them since we wont need that many. They will continue to monitor the other 7 and hopefully all or at least most continue to do their thing and grow nice and strong.
Transfer is Friday, they will call me Thursday with an update.

sooo excited for you and praying with all my might! Those sound like great numbers!!!

Sounds like some fantastic numbers!!!! I know you are so happy with the results. I will keep them in my prayers and hope they continue to progress perfectly.

Thank you both so much for your thoughts and prayers. They mean so much to me.

Have either of you ever had to take the progesterone shots throughout any of your treatments? I've been reading that some have to have them during their 2ww for other things? If so, how did you get through them??? My second one was tonight and they're so painful I can hardly walk or sit. The actual injection sucks but its the muscle that hurts afterwards. Its been 24 hours on the one and I'm still in agony over it. I'm debating on requesting the suppositories but I don't know if they work as well. This is just miserable, and if I get pregnant I have to take them for the first trimester.

had to do progesterone suppositories for the 2ww and up until 12 weeks. those shots sound really painful. i dont know if its standard to do shot after ivf or its upto the doctor. i would definately ask if the suppositories are an option. they can be messy but atleast they dont hurt. i know there are FDA approved progesterone suppositories now that are out there. i am so sorry you have to go through this. other tips i've read about are using ice to numb the area before you take the shot. have you tried that?

CEB85 replied to rooni134's response:
I called my nurse this morning because trying to sleep last night was miserable and it was so painful to walk this morning. They had me come in because my RE wanted me to try one more trial transfer just to make sure we need the anesthesia, and yes, we still do. Anyways they took me off the progesterone shots and put me on Endometrim suppository. I'm so happy about that. They said it works just as well as the shots and many clinics only use the suppositories now. So I'm feeling good about that. I didn't want to switch if it wouldn't work as well. So I'm feeling SO much better, and I'm finally done with shots!!! In the past month I've had over 43 shots!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me(37)Dh(44)TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in miscarriage in July 2007. Dealing with MFI. Anovulatory and irregular cycles due to PCOS. IUI #1 ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.