Skip to content
newbie ttc with pcos
N0Tgivingup posted:
hello everyone!

Idk where to begin. If I talk in circles, or dont make any sense, forgive me as I am slowing losing my mind. I hate feeling so helpless. Let me tell you a little about myself.

When I was 17yrs old, I had surgery because of a ruptured cyst. They scraped them clean, said I was good to go. I had a reg cycle up until the age of 20. Then I noticed I slowly started gaining weight even though my eating habits did not change and my cycle came less often. Went to different doctors, all told me I was fine.

When I was 22yrs old, my bf and I decided we wanted ttc. After 2 years of trying, we had a m/c. 2 months later we conceived, but didnt find out till I was 11w 6 days. I am happy to announce my princess was born New Years Eve.

from the day my daughter was born till now, it has been 7 years. While we weren't actively ttc, we weren't preventing it. I had bloodwork done (as per my RE) and he dx me with PCOS.

The RE told me the key to my success was to lose weight I explained to him I have done so but it only stays off for a while then I gain it back over time. Due to food allergies, my food options are limited so I should not have these problems.

my questions are:
a) how do you chart your O's if your irregular and each month is different
b) how long has anyone gone ttc w/o the use of meds
c) how do you deal with the stress of getting BPN when you test?

Thanks for letting me vent!

TTC#2

prayforamiracle responded:
First off, I would like to welcome you to the board! I look forward to chatting with you. I'm sorry, that you have been through so much. To answer your questions....

a) I have charted the whole time ttc and that has been over five years. I have had charts well over 100 days, but I just keep doing it. Sometimes, I have anovulatory cycles and wouldn't know it if I didn't chart.

b) I tried for several years ttc without the use of meds. Then a couple of years ago I was put on Metformin. Then last year and this year, I started taking Clomid. I've had two IUIs this year, but both were unsuccesful.

c)Uhhh, the BFNs. I so hate them. For one thing, since I chart I don't test near as much as if I didn't chart. Charting helps me to know where I'm at in the cycle. So I don't waste alot of money on tests and have my heart broken so often. They are tough to see and I try not to take them too often, even with an ovulatory cycle. I usually wait for af to show, because I know more than likely she will.

Has your RE offered any other solutions, other than weight loss?
Prayforamiracle-Me(36)PCOS Dh(43)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

rooni134 responded:
Hi Notgiving up,

welcome!

First thing i can tell you is not to lose hope. i went without any ovulation for over a year. None of the oral medications were helping me. Finally my doc switched over to injectables, and i was able to conceive on my first try. I am now 27 weeks.

answers:

1) if you have irregular periods, you can try charting, but unfortunately you will not see a pattern. i did it for a few months and i saw no pattern and nothing else to indicate that i was ovulating. after a while i think you just get to know your body, so thats what i started doing, just noticing changes. i also ordered really cheap ovulation tests online, so anytime i did suspect that i was ovulating, i would take one. if you started noticing the changes your body goes through when you ovulate, i think you wont need to chart.

2) when we decided to ttc, i got off the pill and got one normal cycle on my own. after that it just completely stopped, so i needed medication to jump start my cycle. if i had not done anything, i would probably still be waiting for my period to come. medications will give you a chance to see what works for you. clomid is very effective and works for most women. i wouldnt hesitate to start treatment. without it, you might end up waiting longer than you have to.

3) how do you deal with the stress? thats a million dollar question my problem was that i wasnt even able to ovulate let alone test for pregnancy. but the disappointment of not even ovulating was very stressful sometimes. Exercise helps and this support group is amazing and helps a ton! surround yourself with other women who know what you might be going through so you know that you are not alone.

i pray and hope and everything goes well for you. there are some really awesome ladies on this group that will help you.

rooni

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
a)I was never able to chart my O's because I never, ever ovulated on my own. I had to use the trigger shot. If your RE won't proceed until you lose weight and you're doing your best, then I'd get a second opinion. PCOS makes it damn near impossible to lose weight and keep it off. Lots of doctors put PCOS patients on Metformin for weight loss. My doctor put me on it before my IUI and IVF and while I didn't lose a ton of weight, I did get my BFP with IVF#1. My RE said that he likes to see his patients have glucose levels a little below normal.

b) My husband and I were ttc for 2 years before seeking treatment.

c) I don't have much advice about the bfn stress. I was a basket case, very depressed and probably a pain in the butt to everyone. I tried to do things that helped relieve stress such as shopping, taking a trip, cuddling my tiny dog, and spending time with friends. I also avoided anyone who was pregnant or had kids. It made me too depressed to be around them.

Keep us posted!
Me 35, DH 36, TTC since 2009, IVF Oct 2011, BFP Twins!!! Due Date 7-18-2012!!!!

N0Tgivingup replied to prayforamiracle's response:
thank you for responding!!! my next appointment with the RE is in JULY!! i have to wait till then. my goal in the mean while is to continue to work out and just hope for the best!

N0Tgivingup replied to rooni134's response:
congrats to you!! im so jealous! *smile* thanks for the heads up. i do know my body thats why I didnt understand why every doctor i had gone to was telling me there wasnt anything wrong with me. i am very irregular (just had my cycle for 16days now) after not having it for over 5 months and i have not ovulated since before last summer. I have a GYN appointment on monday to hopefully guide me on my "next step"

N0Tgivingup replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
congrats to you!! I am working on a 2nd opinion as this RE is so dang hard to get in contact with! i can lose weight and it stays off for a few months then it slow goes back up driving me crazy!
my daughter has been asking for a sibling ofr 2years now and I am like when the time is right...... she said the time is now that she isnt getting any younger (she is 7) oh how I wish I could make it happen with the snap of my fingers!!!

CEB85 responded:
A and B: I was never able to chart. I had been on BC for several years. I had gone to Dr. because AF was so irregular. Instead of doing any testing or anything I was told that it was normal and just needed birth control. When we decided to start a family I went off BC and only got one AF. I just knew something wasn't right so I found a new Dr. who did blood work and u/s and determined I had PCOS.

C: Dealing with the stress of BFN is different for everyone I think. Its never easy, I'd usually have my moments of anger and sadness and then try to focus on trying again as soon as my RE would say I could. Knowing that eventually I will get pregnant and focus on just keep trying seemed to help me.

Good luck to you.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello, Im married we have a daughter, Ive had 2 mc and a Tubal that caused me to lose my rt tube. We recently adopted our nephew age 4. I have PCOS an...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.