Skip to content
Progesterone Cream
KMcEntire posted:
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you had tried a progesterone cream before? If so, successes/failures? A coworker had mentioned this to me and I wanted to find out more.

Thanks!
Me (24)(PCOS) and DH (24) TTC our first for a year and a half. Tried Metformin, Femara, Acupuncture, herbs, ovarian drilling... looking at other options.

CEB85 responded:
Hi KMcEntire,

I have taken progesterone but not in the form of cream. I started taking progesterone injections with my last round of IVF. Some people have major issues with the progesterone injection due to its in oil and I was one of the lucky people who had issues, so instead of the injections I had to use the progesterone suppositories.
I do believe that progesterone can help in some cases. For my round of IVF, it was very confusing and stressful. I had low beta numbers but they kept increasing by doubling or near triple but still too low. Every other day I had blood work and every other day I would be told they think this could be a successful pregnancy and then next time I would told it most likely wouldn't end well for me, this continued for 2 weeks. It was a nightmare. However, when my Dr. finally said we had to end things all he did was take me off the progesterone. It was the progesterone that was supporting the "pregnancy".
However, it just wasn't meant to be this time. But to me, that shows how well progesterone can work to help support a pregnancy, even one where in my case it wasn't going to turn out.

prayforamiracle responded:
I have not used progesterone cream before. I also have taken the prog suppositories, when I starting spotting around eight weeks pregnant. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)PCOS Dh(44)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

KMcEntire responded:
Thank you all. It's a OTC cream and I went ahead and asked my OBGYN and he said it wouldn't hurt. From what I read you use it the last 2 weeks of your cycle and it can sometimes help to regulate cycles naturally, at least that's a positive side effect. As long as it doesn't hurt to try it I don't mind. He did say as far as the other progesterone products that will prevent a miscarriage are the shots and the suppositories or vaginal gels - the OTC isn't that strong I guess.
Me (24)(PCOS) and DH (24) TTC our first for a year and a half. Tried Metformin, Femara, Acupuncture, herbs, ovarian drilling... looking at other options.

CEB85 replied to KMcEntire's response:
Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

29 years old. Found out at I had PCOS after stopping BC for 6months and not having regular cycles. Got a second opinion last June and we started up on...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.