Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Acupuncture??
CEB85 posted:
Has anyone done or considered acupuncture? I'm starting to think about it. Its not something I really ever considered before now, but I'm willing to try anything at this point. Just not sure. I want to talk to my RE at my failed IVF consult in a couple of weeks but would like to hear if anyone else has experience with it.
Thanks

prayforamiracle responded:
I've thought about it. I was looking in to it for the irregular and heavy periods approach. The only thing that deters me is that insurance doesn't cover and it is expensive.
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)PCOS Dh(44)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

CEB85 replied to prayforamiracle's response:
It is very expensive, but the more research I'm doing on it, the better it sounds. Some of the studies are very encouraging. Just not sure if its worth it. As far as IVF you're supposed to start acupuncture before you before you do your egg retrieval, well I'm passed that right now and still going off of what's frozen. We still have one more round with frozen embryos. I called an acupuncture facility and they said they could still help me but I'm just not sure. Its so expensive and I don't want to waste money. DH and I figured how much we have spent so far on treatments and it is an insane amount. But all worth it when we get our miracle. Its just so hard to decide what to do. I'm going to call my IVF nurse tomorrow to see how she/they feel about it and go from there. I'm getting to the point where I will try almost anything to get pregnant.

beccarn09 responded:
I work at a hospital and have had several nurses tell me to try it...I have no idea what the cost is...I am sure it is expensive...I am considering giving it a try...Another nurse at work is giving me a stone for fertility...Sounds crazy but for some reason I feel like it will make me feel better...I guess its called pink pig..But the stone is not pink..Weird..At this point I think any little bit can help!!! I am sure it is all mental...but hey the brain may trick my body

KMcEntire responded:
Hi CEB85! I know what you mean by "willing to try anything." I tried acupuncture for three months and really enjoyed my experience. I came off all my meds and everything to give it 100% of my devotion but I know that you don't always have to come off the meds. I went from not being able to start a cycle without progesterone, to starting a cycle. I didn't ovulate to my knowledge, but I was glad to know my body was still capable of having a period on my own. If I gained anything out of the experience it was definitely beneficial to relieve stress! I am thinking about going back again since my cycles are a little more regular now. I've heard it's also very useful in women undergoing IVF and increasing success rates. Good luck!!!!
Me (24)(PCOS) and DH (24) TTC our first for two years. Tried Metformin, Femara, Acupuncture, herbs, ovarian drilling... looking at other options.

KMcEntire replied to KMcEntire's response:
Cost wise it was a little expensive, but I expected it to be so much more. I'm sure it varies by area, but I paid about $70 on average per visit. Sometimes I went once a week, and other weeks it was everyother week.
Me (24)(PCOS) and DH (24) TTC our first for two years. Tried Metformin, Femara, Acupuncture, herbs, ovarian drilling... looking at other options.

CEB85 replied to KMcEntire's response:
I talked to my RE about it and he said with all the scientific research he has seen on acupuncture he doesn't feel it actually helps getting pregnant. But can help with the stress and things like that. Since I have to have surgery before we can ever start treatments again I decided to cancel my acupuncture for the time being. Its kind of expensive and if its really only going to help with stress then I really don't want to spend the money on it.

prayforamiracle replied to CEB85's response:
Well at least you found this out, before spending tons of money.
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)PCOS Dh(44)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! It all started last December (2010) when I went to visit my OBGYN after not seeing AF for 8 months after stopping my birth control pills. After a ...More

Helpful Tips

PCOS tips
I am currently on Metformin 2000 for PCOS and these are some tips my doctor gave me, hopefully they can be helpful to you also! Weight ... More
Was this Helpful?
13 of 26 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!