Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Advanced Maternal Age- Not Pregnant
bertiebon22 posted:
Hello-

I am a 38 1/4. I have just had my 5th cycle of clomid, and not pregnant. I had all of the evaluations. Dr decreased my dosage to 50mg for 3 days. I was a good responder, but no sucess. Dr told me that he feels good about my chances of conceiving, but did not recommend Insemmination. He wanted me to consider IVF. He claims that I have everything going for me for a 38 yr old but no success.

I know that I am a customer, then a patient. I really do not know if I will have any success with clomid with my advanced maternal age.

I am overweight, and I get sooo overheated anymore. I cant seem to cool off.

Has anybody had success with advanced maternal age using only clomid?

I am losing hope.

CEB85 responded:
Hi, and welcome to the board.

I personally never had any luck with clomid but I do know of many that have. As long as you're responding to the clomid I don't see why your Dr. would want you to move onto IVF. Have you had ovarian reserve testing? Is there any other reason that he might be concerned?
We did the IUI thing for a little while with use of injectables because I would not respond to clomid. Then moved onto IVF. If you can afford IVF I definitely recommend it< IUI just seems to be a luck of the draw type of thing. While I haven't had total success yet with IVF, (my first cycle was chemical pregnancy, and second BFN) it is so nice to know exactly what embryos are being transferred. The reason we moved onto IVF is because we did get pregnant with our first IUI, but m/c at 7 weeks. And then we just couldn't seem to get pregnant again with IUI.

Good Luck.

prayforamiracle responded:
Welcome to the board. First off, let me just say I completely and totally understand your frustration. I'm 37 and I hear and feel time slipping away. Not sure if you are seeing an RE, but I think you should if you're not. I tried Clomid four times for a total of three cycles. I didn't respond once, one time didn't respond and had to take another round the same cycle and the other two times I responded with no success. I didn't respond all that well to Clomid, I would only have one dominant follicle with a very high dose of Clomid. Since you have taken it for five cycles, I would think it would be time to try something else. My RE has ruled out Clomid for me anymore and next I will be moving to injectables. If financially IVF is an option for you, you might want to look in to it. If not, I would definitely move on to injectables and IUI. I hope we have been helpful and I look forward to chatting with you.
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)PCOS Dh(44)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

Spotlight: Member Stories

29 years old. Found out at I had PCOS after stopping BC for 6months and not having regular cycles. Got a second opinion last June and we started up on...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.