Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
PCOS and TTC
jrogers8109 posted:
I am 25 years old and my husband and I have been ttc for a year now. I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 months ago. My doctor put me on 2 months of birth control, followed by 3 months of metformin (50 mg once/day). I am still not pregnant, so my doctor recently wrote me a script for Clomid. I am suppose to start the Clomid on day 5 of my next cycle, while also taking the Metformin.

Have any of you been put on these medications, and if so, how successful was it?

It is becoming more and more difficult to be positive about ttc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

CEB85 responded:
Hello,

I have been on both the clomid and the metformin. A lot of women have success on the clomid. The good thing about clomid that if it doesn't develop follicles they can keep increasing the dosage up to 150 - 200mg. You just have to be careful because the higher the dosage the more it can actually reduce your lining. I did not respond to the clomid but I also seem to have a lot of other issues.
Are you on metformin because of insulin resistance, or trying to lose weight? I took it after my miscarriage to help with preventing future miscarriage. They've done studies where it helps with that. While I'm not insulin resistant I still took it. I also didn't really need to lose weight but it still helped me lose a few pounds and keep it off without even trying.
Are you seeing an OB/GYN or an RE? I've been seeing an RE for about a year and a half but like I mentioned previously I seem to have more issues than what first met the eye. I know it can be extremely frustrating, I've been there, trust me. Its one of those things you just have to keep pushing forward and eventually you WILL get you miracle.

Good luck to you and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.

jrogers8109 replied to CEB85's response:
I am seeing an OB/GYN. She put m eon the metformin to regulate hormones as well as weight. Thank you for the advice about the clomid. Hopefully we will both get our miracles soon

prayforamiracle responded:
Welcome to the board. I'm sorry you have been having trouble ttc. I have been taking Metformin for several years to assist with ttc. I will stop taking it when I decide I'm done trying. I took Clomid several times. I didn't have any luck. The good thing is, there are other options if the Clomid doesn't work. I hope that Clomid works for you and you will be blessed with a BFP soon.
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)PCOS Dh(44)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me(37)Dh(44)TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in miscarriage in July 2007. Dealing with MFI. Anovulatory and irregular cycles due to PCOS. IUI #1 ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.