Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Starting Clomid in May
happyatom posted:
Hey everyone!

I was dx with PCOS in 2011. I have made positive lifestyle changes but obviously not perfect. I had a bad addiction to carbs! I am much better now than I used to be. I take Metformin but I often skip doses because of the side effects (I know, bad!) I am still not ovulating consistently and AF comes maybe 3 times per year.

My DH & I have been TTC since we got married in January 2011.

I am starting Clomid in May and I am super nervous! What was it like ladies? Did it work for you?

-A

CEB85 responded:
Hi,

Metformin can be difficult at first but eventually you get used to it. I'm not sure the dosage you're on but when I took it I started off on one pill a day, then 2 and then 3 to build up to it. took about 6 weeks to get to full dose I think.
Personally, clomid didn't work for me, but I know it does for a lot of women. The nice thing about clomid is they start you on a low dose and then work your way up to a higher dosage if needed.
Are you seeing an RE? If not I recommend seeing one, they're able to give you more options after they run all their tests than an OB/GYN will. I started clomid with my OB/GYN and before any tests where done. Well with me my testosterone levels were very high, so when combined with the clomid I definitely had major mood swings. By the time I got to an RE we were ready to move onto injectables.
Good luck to you!

prayforamiracle responded:
Welcome to the board! Clomid works so differently for everyone, it is hard to know what will happen until you try. It didn't work too good for me, even on the highest dose. I would only produce one follicle, if I even responded. Don't be discouraged though by my story, like I said Clomid is different for everyone. I didn't have too many side effects, but I do remember a hot flash or two. Keep us posted and wishing you lots of luck!
Prayforamiracle-Me(37)PCOS Dh(44)MFI TTC since 11/06. Only pregnancy ended in loss in July 2007. On 1500mg of Metformin. 1st IUI 1/12=BFN, 2nd IUI 2/12=BFN

happyatom replied to CEB85's response:
Yeah I was dx w/ PCOS by a RE. She said I was a "text book case." They told me that my ovaries looked ok after an ultrasound. But honestly, I connect more with my PCP more. She knows a lot about PCOS because she has it. So she's the one prescribing the clomid..

So with the metformin - I totally take it whenever. It's bad - not on a schedule at all. I'm supposed to take Metformin ER 500 mg, 2 tabs twice daily. Would you start with one dose daily? For how long?

Thanks for responding,

-A

happyatom replied to prayforamiracle's response:
Thank you for the support! I need it!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! It all started last December (2010) when I went to visit my OBGYN after not seeing AF for 8 months after stopping my birth control pills. After a ...More

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.