Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 1 pregnancy
ashley50 posted:
Hey everyone! I have been stressing about getting pregnant lately!! I am freaking my self out by reading stuff on google! Can someone give me some insight on being type 1 and getting pregnant & being pregnant.

mrscora01 responded:
Hi Ashley. I can help you with general T1 info, but have never been pregnant. Here is an active forum on type 1 and pregnancy. Best of luck.

Cora

thepositivepumper responded:
Hi Ashley! I have had type 1 for 39 years & I am the proud mama of two wonderful children! It wasn't easy to go through 2 pregnancies with insulin dependence, but it is possible to have successful births! My strongest piece of advice is to become incredibly disciplined with your daily routines with your eating, blood monitoring, & taking your insulin. It will really help you to do this before becoming pregnant. One thing I wasn't aware of before my first pregnancy (over 18 years ago) was that my pregnant body would give off hormones with an anti-insulin effect. This was rough & there seemed to be no way of knowing when I'd experience it. I wasn't in good control before getting pregnant. My blood sugars could sky rocket even though I had taken the correct amount of insulin for the carbs I had eaten. I'm not wanting to scare you with this info. But rather let you understand the importance of multiple blood tests daily (every two hours during waking hours seriously). Sounds horrible I know (& to be honest sometimes it was!) you will be very tired a lot while pregnant which is the biggest factor in making a diabetic pregnancy so daunting! Sometimes you may find it tremendously hard to find the energy to measure out food vs. Insulin when all you want to do is sleep. Please know how important it is for you to force yourself to eat regularly because the baby will take everything you have whether you have it to give or not. I had some tremendous lows with my first pregnancy where my husband found it impossible to rouse me without the help of EMT's. In the end though, albeit an amazingly hard thing to accomplish for my little diabetic body, I can't stress to you enough how much the whole endeavor is worth it! You'll know what I mean when you're holding your sweet baby in your arms at last! Best of luck! -Diane

Spotlight: Member Stories

I've been living with t1 for just about 30 yrs.

Helpful Tips

Diabetic type 1 for 19 years !
Ok well I've been diabetic since I was 11 months old and I just have a few tips for new diabetics -TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! This I can't ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.