Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HELP!! Need advice!!
An_255330 posted:
Hey everyone, I do not have diabetes but I am a very concerned sister. My 21 year old brother has type 1 diabetes and has been hospitalized more times than we can even count because he does not want to take his insulin. He has had dka one too many times and the doctors say if he doesn't get his s**t together he isn't going to make it to the age of 25. I recently asked him why he didnt want to take his meds right or at all and he told me he felt so alone and like he didnt fit in. What can we do?? I thought maybe if people his age could talk to him and show him he isn't alone that could help him maybe he would be able to talk to them and they could help him realize how important his insulin is. Idk if we have any support groups in the area im still searching. Please help.

ashnich11 responded:
Hi my name is Ashley I'm 21 and was diagnosed with t1 diabetes when I was 8 years old. I never really took care of myself until this year. I just didn't care and I couldn't tell you why. My doctors tried, my mom, who I feel so bad for tried everything to get me to do the right thing. Then eventually she just sat me down and said she'll always love me but she had to wash her hands in my situation. I was 19. This year I have had a really bad bout with anxiety and was thinking about death constantly. My diabetes doctor actually died of a massive heart attack which scared me so much. I started looking at the effects of diabetes on the body and realized it had been 13 years since I got diagnosed and even though I haven't had and major complications it wouldn't be long before I did. I also want to be a mom some day and realized it would never happen unless I got control of my illness. Basically it was me that was standing in my way and I needed to do the right thing. It also helped when I stopped caring about what everyone else thought about me.

usher57 replied to ashnich11's response:
Hi ashley....wow your story is all too familiar to me. I have a 21 y/o son who feels exactly like you were feeling. he wears a pump and has bee type 1 since he was 6. he goes days without checking his blood and no matter what i say or do he doesnt seem to care at all.. I would love for you to talk with him sometime. If you could txt him that would be awesome. Im am at a lost and so afraid hes going to die. we live in tennessee, hes a freat kid but i just dont know where his head is at. Thanks for listening. Pam. His name is Aaron or as we call him Louie.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a two year old in 1973. I am not on an insulin pump. When I was diagnosed there were no hom...More

Helpful Tips

Symlin and low blood sugars
I've tried using Symlin several times, but I've never managed to get my insulin dosing to work with it. While using it I experienced some ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 21 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.