Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Type 1 and CANNOT lose this weight.
araorun27 posted:
hi all, i'm new to this forum and i have a really serious question even my PCP blew off when i asked him last week. i have type 1, was diagnosed 2010. (i'm 32). i was 111 pounds when diagnosed... ac1 of 15.5.

since then, i've had a child, but three months after he was born i was back to 142 pounds. but in the past year, my weight has skyrocketed from 130ish Dec 2012 to 188 last week. i have cut out most extra fats; i cook at home a lot, low-fat options (i even forced myself to use 1% milk), and plus, i don't eat much at a time anyway. my sugars are good, not too high. they have actually been bottoming out more often, which my dr said was maybe a reason i can't lose weight, but didn't really explain why. i don't have a set exercise routine, but in any givven week i do yoga, walk, sometimes slow jog, stretch, etc. the city in which i live doesn't have a community center, but a nearby town has one and i can begin to use their workout place, which i would love to. but i work nearly 50 hours a week and the exercise part is hard. but, i don't feel like iv'e gained this weight. i still fit into the same clothes i do when i last saw my PCP in October, when I weighed in the 160s.

does anyone have any input?? i'm desperate to lose weight, i'll go to the gym 20 miles away, it's free, i'll keep eating right, i drink tons of water, but .... why am i gaining??

mrscora01 responded:
I have seen more and more stuff about diabetics being able to lose weight better by doing a higher fat, lower carb diet and maintaining good control. I was never extreme - I did about 100 g of carb per day and didn't concern myself with fat. I had good chl numbers and everything seemed to be ok. I would look into some lchf (low carb, high fat) info but find what works for y ou best. I have read Dr. Bernstein's diabetes solution but could never be that radical. But it is a good starting place. \

When I gained a lot of weight after my kidney transplant (due to eating indulgences) I did manage to take wieght off by cutting carbs.

Best of luck.

Cora

An_255687 responded:
I have type 2 diabetes, and my last a1c level was 8.2, and I to was having trouble losing weight, but there was a big reason. My thyroid. According to the test, I barely had any thyroid function at all. I am on medication and will be for the rest of my life, but it took almost 2 years to get it under control with the meds and now it has finally reached a normal level and I am now starting to lose the weight. This might not be what is causing your problem , but if they haven't checked your thyroid, have them do that.

Good Luck, and I hope you find out what is causing your weight problem.

hollytennis responded:
Has your thyroid function been tested lately? It's sort of a cliche, however, low thyroid hormones can cause weight gain and difficulty losing weight.

udenbella849mos responded:
Hi .. sorry to hear this & I know how frustrating it is ... a lot of diabetic medications cause weight gain which is just ridiculous if u ask me ... know others who were runners & diagnosed diabetic 1 ... they started on insulin & gained 70lbs w/out any changes in their life style .... so ... I am one of those people who have side effects 2 almost all medications ... hate it ... super sensitive & can not take a lot of vitamins or herbs also ... I am diabetic 2 ... hate it ... diabetes is a horrible thing to have if u ask me ... amazing how many medications are out there that can cause u to get diabetes ... u will have to find ur nitch ... I like mrscora01's message ... good luck ....

araorun27 replied to mrscora01's response:
thanks, i think that might have been what my doc SORT of said, but I do pretty low carbs now--not perfect, mayb a little more than 100 a day, but i'm working my way down from a horrible appetite/eating habits. i'll look up stuff about low-fat, high carb. thanks!

araorun27 replied to hollytennis's response:
nope, thyroid fine as of last check, which was two or three weeks ago.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 41 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes as a two year old in 1973. I am not on an insulin pump. When I was diagnosed there were no hom...More

Helpful Tips

school for teens
home school works better if you have diabetes and when your bg is high you loose a lot of ifo. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.