Skip to content
my son's problems - looking for advice
type1mom50 posted:
My son is 37 and was diagnosed when he was 5. He works very hard at trying to manage his condition, but it seems to be more and more difficult for him. My need for advice is concerning employment. He cannot keep a job. His blood sugars affect his mood, his concentration, his thinking ability, and I'm sure you know how difficult it is to fit into a work environment when you can be very sick very quickly. He's been turned down for SS disability 3 times, and it's become very difficult for me to support us both after the death of my husband two years ago. I also worry about him surviving on his own if something were to happen to me. Have any of you had these kinds of problems? What have you done about them. Thanks.

louopps86 responded:
Hey there. I know the feeling. I was diagnosed with diabetes at 26 years old and am now 28 years old. I too have been having a hard time at work and know the feeling of not being able to concentrate because of your sugar being out of wack. My advice to him would be to eat specific foods which he knows exactly how they will affect his sugar. He should eat those meals while at work because he can more easily control his sugar. If you know exactly the amount of carbs you are eating it will make it easier to control the sugar. I recommend that he eat "cheat" meals when he is not at work. High fat meals tend to make blood glucose very hard to control due to a delayed blood sugar spike hours after eating. If he doesn't feel good after eating those at least he will be at home and able to rest or correct any sugar problems. It is very difficult to deal with on a daily basis and I too struggle with it. I'm sorry that he is having a hard time and I too have my struggles. You have to be very strict with food choices at work which is hard but helps a lot. At least that way he can concentrate while there.

danielalace responded:
Hi! Know the feeling quite well - been there, done that!

I've been diabetic since I was 3, so this year (2014) I've completed 40 years being oh so sweet! The secrete? There is none! Unfortunately! Of all the things I have to say about your son's situation and about being a T1D for so long, I guess the most helpful would be: do not be afraid to reevaluate your treatment! I know, it sounds pretty vague, but in truth, it is exactly that attitude which has allowed me to live a somewhat 'normal' life with DM! Most of my issues with missing work and problems with concentration happened way back when I was using ultralente & lente insulin (2005ish). The changes that followed in Type 1 treatment have been many: I've used the pump but that became too expensive, so I went back to glargine/aspart insulinization therapy. He shouldn't be afraid to consider such changes and it is crucial he finds a doctor who is OK with trying new things and old things as well. The body changes, his therapy might change as well over the years.

Reconsider diet references. I followed the carb-count in the parameters established by ADA since it was established, after the DCCTrial. It never really worked for me, but that was the miracle cure that has become predominant in DM treatment till today. After years struggling with my weight I discovered the low-carb, high-fat diet in a very roundabout way. Surprisingly enough, up to now, it has been the ONLY diet which has worked for me. A1c and weight have become 'normal' again. I suggest Dr. Bernstein 's literature on the matter. A lot of people find it a bit controversial, but it's the only method which has worked for me so far.

Restrictions? Yes!
But at least I am able to function! There is a lot we still don't know about our bodies in this day and age. The concept of 'all fat is evil' is a major downer in the treatment of diabetes. Reason I say this is simple: There are three sources of energy for our body which are carbs, protein and fat. If you reduce the carb, long-term you will need to substitute this source by either protein or fat. Proteins are not such a hot choice for diabetics, as is well known. So the alternative is the GOOD fat - I can't stress this enough! So again, rethink your (his) diet!

Bottom line: don't be shy! Study! Ask questions! Test things out with medical supervision. Life is at your (his) fingertips, so don't let DM put you down!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a type one diabetic for 25+ years and I am a registered nurse. I have no other health problems yet from this disease and am not looking for any. ...More

Helpful Tips

Diabetic type 1 for 19 years !
Ok well I've been diabetic since I was 11 months old and I just have a few tips for new diabetics -TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! This I can't ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.