Skip to content
Work issues
An_258560 posted:
I have a few issues dealing with diabetes at work (I'm type 1)! I worked 6 hours today (usually am only scheduled 4-5 hours one or two days a week) and at the end of my shift which requires me to stand, as well as do returns for all that time frame (I work in a grocery store as a bagger) my feet were killing me. I wear diabetic shoes and socks and can't understand why this is happening! I also have an issue with not being allowed to have a modified schedule of the same days and hours every week-I was told that no one gets the same hours/days every week yet I think this is wrong because not everyone has diabetes at my work place and the supervisor was informed by me that I had diabetes and was shown ADA paperwork stating that reasonable acommodations should be made! Also, the HR person said the same thing, that I wouldn't always get the same hours/days and knows I have diabetes! How do I approach these people again and assert my rights without the risk of them firing me-they could use another reason other than diabetes to fire me!

undefined responded:
1. can't you ask for a chair?
2. start taking care of your feet- it's very important.
3. as diabetics, yes, we do have special needs... like going to the back room if we're having a low blood sugar or needing a break for our meals. There's nothing about diabetes that says you can't work 6 hours and you have to have the same hours every time. I work 40 hour per week and have been diabetic since age 2. I've had jobs that interfere with meal times, injection times, you name it. Don't let diabetes control your life. Have the mentality that it's something extra that you deal with, but YOU control IT, not vice versa.

Obviously they can't fire you for being diabetic, but they can fire you if you can't work the hours or the job. You must have told them you could be flexible and able to stand in the interview otherwise they wouldn't have hired you in the first place.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was diagnosed with Type I at a late age (52), 6 months ago. I had a yearly physical in Sept 09, doctor ordered blood work. Well, it came back that I...More

Helpful Tips

Diabetic type 1 for 19 years !
Ok well I've been diabetic since I was 11 months old and I just have a few tips for new diabetics -TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF! This I can't ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.