Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
In need of support
An_258651 posted:
Hi! I'm new to this site. Looking for support and maybe some insight in the life of living with someoneS with type 1 diabetes. My husband was diagnosed about a few months after our first son was born. He has never been compliant with testing his blood sugar. Since then, now 16 years later, we've been through DKA, neuropathy, eye hemorrhaging needing surgery, erectile dysfunction, toe ulcer, recent kidney failure and even more recent diabetic gastroparesis. Our youngest son was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 10. I thought this would encourage my husband to do better with his diabetes as a role model for his son. He did but it lasted only for a few months and he stopped testing. I encourage our son to test and my husband backs me up but won't test along with him. I try talking to him about it and he gets angry with me. I asked if he would do it for the sake of our kids and he said no. He basically said "there is the door if you are not happy how I'm managing my diabetes. Accept it for what it is. Nothing I do will change what happens to me because I'm diabetic. It's going to happen anyway!" He is only 38 years old. Our boys are 16 and 14. It breaks my heart watching the one I love so dearly just give up. The doctors have told him all he has to do is get better control of his sugars and he can live a long life, but this is the one thing he refuses to do. It seems lately he has become even more reckless. It's hard for me to accept this is how it's going to be when I know it's not too late for him to turn things around. I'm at a loss for words at this point. Where do I go from here???

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a 35 year old type 1 diabetic. I have felt under the weather for some time now. I went to the doctor last week and my A1C was 9.2. I was dehydrat...More

Helpful Tips

school for teens
home school works better if you have diabetes and when your bg is high you loose a lot of ifo. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 4 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.