Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Bleeding from penis after intercourse
    rms_420 posted:
    Hi. My friend and I have been having amazing sex for 2 years now. But tonight after he ejaculated he had blood coming out of the head of his penis. I know he has high blood pressure and hasn't been taking his medication. Could having intense sex and having high blood pressure cause your penis to bleed? It's never happened to him before. He was of course freaked out. I really really hope it's not an STD. I've looked every where on web md to find a topic on penis bleeds and STD's but can't find anything that would suggest an STD or otherwise. Please Help!!!!!
    rms_420 responded:
    Oh also he is a 26 year old african american male. I don't know if that makes any difference.
    counterso replied to rms_420's response:
    Sorry no one has replied sooner. Blood outside the body is never a good sign, but it's not always an emergency. It can be especially scary when coming from a sensitive area like the penis, but as you guessed, uncontrolled HBP can make the possibility of burst capillaries more likely.

    Unless the bleeding is profuse, it probably doesn't require an ER visit, however no matter how small, he should see a urologist to make sure nothing sinister is going on.

    In the meantime, he should take a break from sexual activity to let the area heal for a week or two. Repeated or profuse bleeding is an urgent situation. There are many times when vigorous activity, even exercise or bike riding can cause this type of bleeding. The point is, he still needs to see a urologist to make sure it's a simple explanation and not anything more serious.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

    Helpful Tips

    Regarding erectile pain.
    I was experiencing pain when I had erections. It was like a muscle strain sort of feeling. I was concerned until I figured out why I was ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.