Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain in Belly Button When Urinating
ColoAllen posted:
I have tried to research this topic, and it seems that a large amount of people have the same problem, but no real answers. The problem is everyone once in a while when I urinate I get a sharp unbearable pain in my belly button. Does anyone have some kind of idea what is going on here?

Take the Poll

Do you get sharp random pains in your naval?
  • All the time
  • Once in a while
  • Hardly ever
  • Never
vote
View Poll Results

counterso responded:
Yes. It probably has nothing to do with your navel. What's likely going on is that you have an internal pain that is registering on nearby nerve clusters. So whether from a small defect in your urethra, or a small kidney or bladder stone (sometimes smaller than a grain of sand), or perhaps another internal organ nearby in your lower gut that has an issue, you're getting transmission of that pain to other nearby nerves that can actually register it.

The problem with internal pain is that it only has two levels of intensity, zero and excruciating. When you get excruciating, your brain has difficulty determining the actual location of the source, and registers it somewhere nearby that has external pain nerves too.

See a urologist or a gastroenterologist and get checked out.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.