Skip to content
Little bit left over after urinating
squiddog posted:
I am a 36 year old male, and have had this "little" problem for a few years now. I don't even know if it is a real problem or not, so I thought I would ask here.
Pretty much every time I urinate, even after vigorously shaking any excess off, after I pull up my underwear I see a small spot of urine appear through my underwear. So basically what I am saying is that it all comes out, except for a few drops, then those drop come out a few seconds later.
I kind of wanted to know, (since I'm not going to ask my friends!) if this is normal for guys, or if it is indicative of a problem of some sort. It hasn't gotten any worse over time, its just been the same.
Its frustrating because when I go at work at a urinal, I really have to shake more then I suspect others do, to the point where I can see urine spots on the wall, to get it all out. Is that normal for other guys?

Thank You

counterso responded:
Common yes, normal debatable. One of the reasons people started wearing underwear was to keep things (like drops of urine) from staining their real clothes.

As it has always been this way for you, I suspect it's normal for you, although perhaps not ideal. The answer is to stop using the urinal and go into a stall to urinate instead, and use some toilet paper.

Post-void dribbling is an issue that usually has to do with the weakening of the muscles that control urine flow. But since this isn't something that developed over time for you, your plumbing may just not allow for it to be "dry" when you're done.

You may be able to improve the situation by practicing Kegel exercises for a few months to tone up the strength of those muscles.

Excessive shaking is probably embarrassing, sloppy, and not solving the problem. Use a stall and TP if you know you're going to drip a little.

squiddog replied to counterso's response:
Well I didn't mean to imply it was my whole life; I pretty much started noticing it in the last few years, maybe 5 years or 10.

So would Kegels make the urine come out more forcefully? I am not sure of the connection there. I have only heard of Kegels to stop the flow of urine or for increased sexual stamina.

I also urinate more often then I used to because I drink way too much soda over the course of the day. Could that be a factor? Sometimes I will take a 1/2 hour car ride and I'll have to go so bad by the time I get there even though I urinated prior to leaving. (I know, cut back on the soda! Easier said then done for me apparently)

Thanks!

gymrat44 replied to squiddog's response:
Squiddog, your problem sounds similar to something I found happening to me some years ago. After I had finished urinating I found that a couple of drops would come out after I had gotten my clothing back together -- leaving an irritating and embarrassing wet spot on my underwear and sometimes coming through my pants/slacks as well.

A tip I found in a book of guy stuff which I had gotten for a nephew's birthday addressed the issue and I have found that it worked for me. Simply put, when you stop voiding there is still a little urine left in your urinary tract -- which dribbles out after you think you're through. Here's the tip: once you have stopped urinating, take your index finger and place it in the area between your scrotum and your rectum; gently apply pressure and move it forward toward the scrotum until you reach the back of the base of your penis. That will propel those irritating extra drops out before you get your clothes readjusted.

I had given up using urinals for a number of years. Now I use them all the time! After a while I found that I no longer needed the moving pressure touch to get the extra out. I don't know, maybe I had just trained myself to get it all out at that point.

Kegels could be helpful as well -- we're each different. But do give these ideas a try, they may make you dry!

Good luck!
manhood should be enjoyed, not proven -- gymrat44

counterso replied to gymrat44's response:
It's called post-void dribbling, and yes, it is a muscle tone issue that tends to increase as a problem with age. Milking the last drops out as Gymrat suggests is one solution. Kegel exercises in general improve the tone of all the pelvic floor muscles, including the ones that when relaxed allow the urethra to hold a tiny amount liquid instead of being more tight and collapsing flat.

Like any elastic substance, such as the soft tissue of your body, age will reduce skin tone, muscle tone, etc. all leading to a little sagging and bagging.

The more effort you put into muscle and skin tone, the less of the issues related to those slowly drooping tissues will be evident.

Caffeine will certainly affect your urinary frequency. The chemicals in soda will also have your kidneys working to balance your body fluid chemistry and creating urine too. Sodas are designed to make you more thirsty (anything sweet will), and therein seek more (soda) to quench the additional thirst. If you drank the same amount of plain water, the experience would be less dramatic.

If you find that you urinate too often, it can also be poor muscle tone that registers the trigger in your bladder that it's "time to go" when your bladder is not actually full.

Drinking half a gallon of water a day (about the right amount for adults), there shouldn't really be any urgency to urinate more than 3-4 times per day. Half a gallon is only two bladders full. The trigger to urinate can start as early as 25% full. Even at half full, that's still only 4 trips to the bathroom.

That said, don't hold it in when you have to go. Fighting the urge can lead to other problems.

counterso replied to counterso's response:
I did my math wrong, sorry. Half full is about 7 trips to the bathroom (based on estimated 600ml full bladder volume).

bvijendi replied to gymrat44's response:
I had the same problem. The wet spots on the underware would cause me skin infections around the genital area. I followed the instructions from gymrat44. It works! Thanks. Hope i dont get any more infections.

counterso replied to bvijendi's response:
Post-void dribbling is a common problem, and is something you should discuss with a urologist, as it may be treatable.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.