Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Sharp pain when urinating
    Travis_16 posted:
    For the past week or so, whenever I need to use the restroom, I get a small sharp pain in the tip of my penis.

    I don't know what has caused this. Nothing in my diet has really changed, I haven't had intercourse with anyone for quite a while, and the pain isn't always as intense every time.

    Sometimes the pain will hurt a lot, but other times it won't hurt as much.

    Could someone shed some light on this subject? I'm kind of hesitant to go to my doctor, because I don't quite enjoy being naked in front of other people.
    counterso responded:
    Your doctor couldn't care any less about your state of undress. However, your regular doctor isn't going to be any help anyway, because general physicians know as much about penises as you know about astrophysics.

    Since the nerves in your penis tend to only register sensations intensely, you can receive false location signals and the issue may not be at all at the tip, that's just where you feel it.

    Several things could be going on. One, you could have a small skin tag in your urethra that got torn during urination or masturbation and like a paper cut, you feel it when it's irritated. Typically this goes away by itself, but it can be uncomfortable, especially because you can't stop urinating until it heals.

    Two, you could have a yeast infection that has made the skin of your penis fragile and allowed it to crack or tear. While you may not have had sex in a while, yeast infections can occur spontaneously, or they can develop because of a weakened immune system due to stress. Or you could have gotten it from your partner previously, and it's only now becoming an irritant. I'm guessing this isn't it from your description, but I'm telling you because it's still a possibility. You would treat this the same way as a woman would.

    Three, you could have some kidney stone formation. I don't know how old you are, what your health is like overall, or your diet, but kidney stones can be even smaller than grains of sand and cause sharp pains as they pass. Hard to say what would make you check for them, but this is also not as likely a reason as the first.

    Four, it's possible you have an STD. Even though you haven't had sex in a long time, there are STDs that can remain without symptoms for months or years and still be present. A drop in your immune strength can allow them to blossom and become irritating.

    The reason you may want to consider seeing a urologist is because in the first case, the small tear, typically you will have healed within 2 weeks and it should not be a problem anymore (unless you're continuing to irritate the area with masturbation). You said a week or so, and maybe you want to give it a few more days, and treat your penis very gently in the meantime. But if it is persistent, you really should have it checked. The doctor may prescribe some AZO Standard which will numb your urethra a little during urination (and turn it a bright color), allowing you to worry less and continue to let it heal. The second choice is also to get an STD screening, which will quickly rule out that cause.

    Not sure what to tell you other than it's not likely to be sinister or require serious attention, but you should not allow it to continue more than a week or two without seeing a urologist (or at minimum the STD clinic before seeing the urologist).

    As far as being naked, you only get one penis. So if you don't take care of it, you won't get a replacement.
    whung replied to counterso's response:
    I also had/have a problem as the OP. I went to the doctor and all my tests came back negative.

    After 2 weeks, my condition appears to be fine. All the symptoms I was experiencing seems to have disappeared. I am just curious as to what it was.

    Was it the skin tag that counterso mentioned above? I believe my tests ruled out everything else.

    I just want to see if it could be something else. My doctor wasn't too worried since all my tests were negative and I was about to see the urologist, but my insurance didn't cover the cost and I would've had to fork over 1500 out of pocket.
    counterso replied to whung's response:
    I'm sorry, there is no way to know what it was once the situation is over.
    whung replied to counterso's response:
    Safe assumption that my condition wasn't too serious then?
    counterso replied to whung's response:
    No, that is not a safe assumption. All you can assume is that it has not persisted in a way that is worrisome. That does not mean it wasn't something bad when it was occurring. An injury, a kidney stone, or something else can be transient, but they are no less serious.
    whung replied to counterso's response:
    would a kidney stone show up negative on all my blood/urine tests?
    counterso replied to whung's response:
    There is no lab test for kidney stones. You find them when you pee through a catch cup and turn in the catch cup to your urologist with the stones, silt, or fragments it catches.
    rioswagga replied to counterso's response:
    is there a way I can inbox you? I have a issue that you might now something about.
    counterso replied to rioswagga's response:

    WebMD is a public forum/exchange. There is no private consultation here.
    richie4 replied to counterso's response:
    Hi, I am a 24 year old male, I am in good health (to the best of my knowledge). For the last 48 hours I have a sharp pain/soreness (pretty painful) on the inside of the tip of my penis. It only happens when I start to pee, after about 3 seconds the rest of my urination is pain free. However, it does feel a little sore after but only on the inside. Also, I notice the opening of my penis seems to be swollen on the inside, I know this because usually it is more open. There is no redness, discharge, or any sort of external pain nor visible symptoms. I am sexually active, I have been with the same girl for about 6 months. I know it is possible I have an std but I find it unlikely, I was tested 1 year ago. I have a bad habit of forcefully preventing myself from ejaculating, I do not put my finger on the tip or squeeze it in any way but I wait until I'm about to ejaculate and I just stop. I do this to prolong sexual activities, I don't plan to continue. I don't believe I premature ejaculate because I can last 10-15 minutes without "holding back". I hold back very often about 5 times week. Can this cause any harm?

    Two nights ago I was having sex and I held back to the point were it hurt, not very bad but a decent pain. Than my partner was tired and she gave me oral, she applied a lot of pressure on the tip and when I ejaculate it was long and in a few squirts, I think. It was unusual and when we were done I was very sore. What cod this pain be other then a uti or std, I know they are possible I just do not think that's the case. How long should I wait before seeing a doctor, my father says wait 5 days. I'm worried this will last a while or I could have caused significant trauma to the inside of the tip of my penis. Please tell me what you think and if "holding back" can cause health issues

    counterso replied to richie4's response:
    Richie, your question was answered in your individual post. I'm not going to answer it again here.

    Spotlight: Member Stories

    65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

    Helpful Tips

    Regarding erectile pain.
    I was experiencing pain when I had erections. It was like a muscle strain sort of feeling. I was concerned until I figured out why I was ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 1 found this helpful

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.