Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
discussion of the "Optimizing Testosterone Therapy" TIP
rickeroo posted:
I just made a post on TIPS on the topic of testosterone therapy. It's time that this subject get the attention it deserves. Some, like me, have had many years of experience with this and maybe we can be of help to the newbys. (Then again, maybe we have it all wrong.) Let's see where it goes----------

The women get much attention to their female hormone problems, but it seems that the men are just supposed to "suck it up". Well, I can attest to the fact that my quality of life has greatly improved since I faced up to the fact that I was lacking in testosterone and decided to do something about it. The fact that it is FDA classified as a CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE--SCHEDULE 3 (high potential for abuse) didn't make solving this problem any easier. Being in an HMO made it even more difficult since the doctors have to answer to their review board when they prescribe anything in SCHEDULE 3--especially when it isn't in their formulary (topical gel, not patch). Probably could have gotten a prescription for marijuana, or cocaine, easier if I'd complained of "pain and lack of appetite" (just kidding).

Low T is a pervasive, under-diagnosed problem and it seems most doctors haven't an easy way to deal with it.

Anybody want to comment on my rant ?

counterso responded:
There are far more many contributing factors to hormone balance than just age. Tinkering with hormones (such as using hormone supplementation) is a very difficult therapy to manage without causing significant disruptions in the whole endocrine system. It is impossible to adjust one hormone without upsetting the balance of so many other hormones at the same time. Supplemental T is considered a last resort.

There may be other factors that can be influenced and contribute to improvement of symptoms often associated with low T. And testing of T levels should be done with a saliva test, not a blood test. If hormone therapy is warranted, it needs to be supervised at least monthly if not more often, by an endocrinologist who monitors effect, dosage, and symptoms.

No, there is no "easy" way to address hormone imbalances in men or women. When you tweak one, you will unbalance any (unpredictable) number of the other 600 hormones also required to be in balance.

rickeroo replied to counterso's response:
Your suggestions are overkill. Doctors haven't a problem prescribing hormone therapy for a thyroid hormone deficiency and even that doesn't require constant monitoring by an endocrinologist. I suspect that most doctors just don't trust their patients enough to properly handle T without cross-contaminating others, especially children. They are probably correct, so a better patch should be developed.

I wish the medical establishment would spend at least the same amount of time taking on the Plastics Council in ridding the environment of the pervasive estrogen-imitators as they do in discouraging T therapy. To much pushback from the politically powerful, heh ?

counterso replied to rickeroo's response:
It does, and when you don't have supervision, it's a big mistake. Just because lackadaisical handling is common does not make it right.
Hormone therapy has nothing to do with politics. More likely screwing up our food supply with hormone-laden meats has most significantly unbalanced many people's natural hormone regulatory systems.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

semen color
last few days i noticed that the color of my semen turned yellowish from white. is it a serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.