Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Inguinal Hernia causing ED
An_239883 posted:
This past year I noticed my erection wasn't as hard as it was and I started having problems with keeping the erection and also had a pain in my scrotum. I finally went to the doctors office for the pain in the scrotum and the nurse practitioner had a CBC, CMP, and testosterone levels drawn and they all came back normal. For the pain in the scrotum the nurse had me schedule an appointment with the doctor for a physical. The doctor done a full physical exam and found out that I had an inguinal hernia. Now I have to wait several weeks before I can get a ultrasound. I'm in very good shape, I work out 5-7 times a week, in my mid 20's, non smoker, and rarely get sick. Could the inguinal hernia cause the ED problems? If so after surgery will the ED problems go away?

counterso responded:
Yes, anything that causes pain can contribute to E.D., but what your definition of E.D. is and what E.D. actually is may be different.

E.D. is the inability to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for penetration. That doesn't sound like your problem. And while you may have noticed changes in your erection, this is technically not E.D.

#1 You need to stop working out until your hernia is resolved.
#2 You should be seeing a urologist for pain in your scrotum or hernia, not a GP.

As for how the two are inter-related, that's something only your urologist can determine, as it is likely an opinion formed after examination, not from a description of symptoms. There should not be a wait for an ultrasound.

Surgery, even minor surgery as for a small hernia, can CAUSE erectile issues, as it is a trauma to a very sensitive area. You should discuss your concerns with your urologist and set expectations. I'm not saying to avoid surgery, as that could be dangerous, but what I'm saying is not to expect an immediate improvement in the situation. It will take a few weeks to heal, and depending on how squeamish you are, the anxiety about the surgery could be disruptive to your erectile function in spite of the repair to what has been causing pain.

For future reference, any pain in the scrotum is considered an emergency situation requiring immediate attention.

You will likely need to suspend your workout routine for several weeks after your surgery as well.

While everything is likely to resolve in a satisfactory way for you, and you'll feel your old self, I will remind you that your body (and erections) will change over time, and you should not expect to be as much a man of steel in that department forever. If you did not have the hernia or pain, a doctor might assume that you're just not a teenager anymore.

Next time, don't wait when you feel pain.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

semen color
last few days i noticed that the color of my semen turned yellowish from white. is it a serious problem More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.