Skip to content
Epididymitis and Trying to Conceive
Newton55 posted:
I have recently been diagnosed with epididymitis. The reason for the epididymitis is unknown, but it is not caused from an STD. I am on Ciprofloxacin for this condition and have been for the past month. I currently have some pain but, it is getting better.

My wife and I are planning to try for a baby, but I am concerned that the epididymitis or being on Cipro may have some effect on conceiving. My question is whether there is any possibility that my sperm would come out abnormal in any way due to my condition or the Cipro? Could this lead to any birth defects in the baby? If so, how long would you recommend waiting before trying to conceive. Also has there been any research on this?

Thank you

counterso responded:
You cannot produce healthy sperm while you are taking an antibiotic. Sperm are germ cells too, and you will kill them with the antibiotic. Cipro is especially powerful as an antibiotic.

You should NEVER be trying to conceive when you have ANY infection (which is what the doctor is assuming is the cause of the epididymitis, and may or may not be true), not even an ingrown toenail. Your attempts to conceive will fail even if you do try because you've killed most of the sperm by taking Cipro.

Besides the fact you should take a good probiotic for at least a month after you stop taking Cipro, you will not restore normal sperm production until you stop the antibiotic. And then it will take 3 months for new sperm to mature and be ready to fertilize your wife's eggs.

Spotlight: Member Stories

65 years young and just trying to do the right thing. At my age I just can't afford any mistakes.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.