Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bladder cystoscopy examination problem
bdtacvrn2 posted:
I am a 63 year old male and recently had bood in my urine 3 times one afternoon. The blood stopped by the time I went to bed. The week before this I saw my urologist, who I have been seeing for 15 years for my anaul PSA test and digital exam. I've had an enlarged prostate and PSA levels of 5 to 6 for the last 15 years. The urologist did biopsies of my prostate 7 years ago and 11 years ago and both were negative for cancer. I've also been takng Flomax for 15 years and don't have any serious freequent urination issues.

A week after the boodly urine incident my urologist checked my urine and confirmed no invisible blood was there. He then did a cystoscopy procedure in his office to check inside my bladder. He injected some type of fluid into my penis to numb the utheria and waited for it to take effect before starting. He then started the procedure but after about 10 minutes of trying he couldn't get the scope past my prostate - he said it was too enlarged and was restricting my urethia. I was feeling a fair amount of pain by this time so he stopped. He now has scheduled me to do the procedure in a hospital next week under anthesia .
Can anyone tell me if it is common not to be able to get the scope past an elarged prostate? My urologist is now in his 70's and I wondering if he is loosing skill in performing the procedure. I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone who has had the procedure.

counterso responded:
Your urologist's age should not have any bearing. Yes, an enlarged prostate can prevent the scope from passing, the same way it restricts urine flow (the reason you're taking Flomax).

Have you discussed the possibility of treatment for the enlarged prostate?

bdtacvrn2 replied to counterso's response:
Thanks for the feedback. About 10 years ago the urologist took me off Flomax and put me on Proscar. I took it for a few months but I had to get up several times each night to urinate. I didn't have that problem with Flomax so the urologist took me off Proscar and put me back on Flomax. Are there other ways of shrinking the Prostate?

counterso replied to bdtacvrn2's response:
There are other medications besides Proscar and Flomax, however not all of them shrink the prostate, they just relieve the symtoms of frequency and urgency. There are also surgical options. These are things to discuss with your urologist. If you don't inform him how things are going, he can't help you adjust your treatment(s).

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had prostate removed 5 yrs. I have had incontinence every since. I had colligen placed near my bladder two times.No luck. I had mesh sling surgicall...More

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.