Skip to content
Varicocele pain back...
mrniceguy87 posted:
I had a varicocele surgery about a year ago but the pain and bulging veins remain. I really need to get this taken care of as wearing supportive underwear actually makes the pain way worse. I'm afraid to get another surgery, not the coil one but where they cut by the lower pelvis, just like last time because they seemed to miss the problem veins.
1) Also, I read there only like 4 - 10 veins that go up that cord from your testicle and the doctor after the surgery said he had to cut a lot of them... so I'm worried that I've run out of veins and they'll have to cut the rest which I assume are only a few (2-4?). Then what... no more return blood flow?
2) The second thing that worries me is that I see in a diagram that veins lead from the testicle to your thigh and I have pain in that thigh when I have pain in my testicle. What if they cut me open to find the first doctor did cut all the veins that needed to be cut in that area and my particular varicose veins are the ones that go into my thigh?
Thank you.

counterso responded:
I'm sorry you still have pain. The change should have been immediate after surgery and if you still had varicose veins, they ought to have been apparent at that time. Now that does not mean they will not recur, and sometimes they do, meaning that the whole system there is faulty and needs more dramatic correction.

Unfortunately what I can say is that you should have been continuously addressing your recovery with the surgeon with whom you worked the first time. This wait-and-see attitude is bad, and it sounds like the initial treatment was incomplete or ineffective (sometimes it is).

The specifics of what will happen for you are not something we can answer in this forum, as only your doctor is aware of the exact circumstances and the exact procedure(s) performed. There are two or three ways to deal with varicoceles.

Lasting pain is unacceptable. The whole reason for treatment is that you were trying to relieve the discomfort. This is still delicate surgery and you need a qualified microsurgeon to avoid many serious and permanent complications that can occur. I'm sorry to send you back to your doctor, but that is what you have needed to do since the original procedure.

mrniceguy87 replied to counterso's response:
The problem is that when the surgery was done it was at a children's hospital with (I think the surgeon only accepting people under a certain age) I think I was even a little over that age but they took me anyways so now I don't believe they can accept me as a patient.
Will it be a problem if I get a different doctor/surgeon to do the second surgery? (who doesn't know what veins were cut / specifics about the first surgery / etc.?)
Thank you.

counterso replied to mrniceguy87's response:
It's still your responsibility to contact the original surgeon. Regardless of hospital policy, you are still under the care of the original physician when you have complications that occur afterwards. Only that surgeon should make a recommendation about finding another. He may well practice at multiple hospitals too.

Ok, thanks.

On a different note does wearing briefs weaken the creamaster muscles? I mean it makes sense that those muscles would contract less while being warm and being supported all the time. Their getting less of a workout so they would be less strong. Just something I read on the internet that sounded like it made sense and I thought I'd ask you because you know what your talking about.

If so, wouldn't these weakened muscles be bad for my varicocele because they wouldn't support as much? Maybe this is why when I wear briefs the pain is worse?
Thanks.

counterso replied to mrniceguy87's response:
No, your underwear choice has no effect on the involuntary muscles. Wearing supportive underwear is important when you have a varicocele because these weak muscles cannot support the weight of the varicocele. If the pain increases with briefs, it is certainly time to revisit the urologist! This is the opposite of how your body should respond to support.

Thank you again. ok.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
83 of 172 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.