Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain: nerves and inguinal hernia?
quicksilverseven posted:
Ok, so when I stand at work for a long time I notice my legs (thighs) hurt which is fine but sometimes my scrotum hurts on the left side also (I have a varicocele on that side however the pain from standing is in the scrotum). I looked this up and it says the two areas share a nerve. I actually had pain in my thighs, sat down, and upon standing for 2 seconds the pain was completely gone from both my legs and only on the left side of the scrotum... as soon as my mind said "wheres the pain in your legs?" the pain returned to both legs and left the scrotum area. Maybe the pain is just nerves and not the varicocele?

On a separate note when my varicocele acts up (starts to hurt) 9 times out of 10 there is food passing through my intestine (the part that crosses over the spermatic cord) I can "push" this food manually past the area upon which the pain will stop. Do I have a inguinal hernia?

Thanks.

counterso responded:
It is possible that you have a hernia, but you could also be experiencing pain solely from the varicocele. Any varicocele that causes regular pain needs to be treated by a urologist. The weight of the varicocele can pull on the same cords where you feel discomfort with a hernia.

Please see a urologist promptly. If you determine treatment is necessary, be sure to select a skilled microsurgeon to avoid complications.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am a 25 year old male and i have alot of medical problems.To start with i have rhumatoid arthritis, bulging discs and degenerative disc disease in m...More

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
82 of 171 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.