Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Testosterone Shortage
godofredo posted:
Probably someone has already posted here about this, but I don't know how to track that down. The question is: Where has all the injectable testosterone gone? When I googled this, I see that the shortage might even be worldwide. My doctor/pharmacy have been giving me the run around about not being able to give me my injection (I'm now a month overdue) and say nothing about there being a shortage.

counterso responded:
Let me start by saying this is NOT a urology issue and doesn't fit this Exchange. It is a pharmacy issue, or even an endocrinology issue.

There is a nationwide shortage of certain injectable testosterone products following FDA actions against Steris Laboratories Inc., a division of Schein Pharmaceuticals, Inc. The FDA seized large stocks of the drugs at Steris Laboratories and shut down manufacturing, alleging that the company had not followed the proper procedures for documenting quality assurance. A "Consent Decree of Condemnation and Permanent Injunction" has allowed the company to resume distribution of some of its products, but this does not include the testosterone products. Steris is the only U.S. manufacturer of some of the testosterone products and is also the supplier for other companies that market these products. Testosterone patches and some other testosterone products are available, but they are more expensive and may not be covered under some managed-care contracts.

Other Reasons for the Shortage
  • Paddock has testosterone on back order due to raw material shortage.
  • Watson could not provide a reason for their shortage.
  • Sandoz discontinued testosterone cypionate 200 mg/mL 1 mL and 10 mL vials in September, 2011.
  • Teva has temporarily discontinued their testosterone cypionate injection presentations.
Estimated Resupply Dates

• Paddock has testosterone cypionate 200 mg/mL 1 mL and 10 mL vials on intermittent back order and the company is allocating product to wholesalers as supplies are released.
  • Watson has testosterone cypionate 200 mg/mL, 10 mL multidose vials on back order and the company estimates a release date of early-February, 2012.

godofredo replied to counterso's response:
Sorry. I am sixty going on sixty-one years old and I come from a time when urologists were who you went to for a whole range of men's health issues, including hypogonadism, just as women take a broad range of health issues to their gynecologists. Anymore that option has been taken away from men with no clear alternative offered. I will not make the mistake of using this community again. It is interesting to note how many of the men's health communities on WebMD are so concerned with what you can't post rather than offering men at least some way to find community about their concerns. I get the impression that WebMD is not a guy friendly site.

counterso replied to godofredo's response:
I think the difference is that you're expecting a discussion forum where people hang out. That's not typically what WebMD is used for. People generally come to WebMD to find answers and then depart. With few exceptions (in chronic conditions), most people visit WebMD once for an answer and don't return or follow any discussions.

Urology as a topic isn't a condition, just an area of specialty. Hormone imbalance is a longer-term issue, and as such, and falls under endocrinology.

Urologists regard themselves as surgeons, not general practitioners or internists. They themselves would likely direct you to an internist for your routine care or something that falls in another specialty. I understand that one of the top 10 complaints an urologist will hear is about low testosterone. It's a very hot topic this decade. But I will tell you it is not one of the things they want to treat. Urologists would generally prefer to send you to an endocrinologist for hormone balancing, and only handle the issue if it were related to something like ADT (testosterone suppression for prostate cancer treatment), or physical damage to your testes.

I'm sure there are still many urologists who act as general practitioners for their patients. It is not the trend.

WebMD takes no stand one way or the other about who uses the site. And in fact, they have invited Ambassadors like myself to shepherd many Exchanges, because there simply aren't enough doctors to monitor every section.

Without an ambassador in this Exchange, it is most likely your post would not have received any response at all, since there isn't a community resident here that hangs out to talk. As I mentioned, most postings are entirely transitory. My intent was to direct you to where you would find a greater expertise and support since you wouldn't likely have heard from any other WebMD visitor at all with your posting on pharmacy here.

That's not any reflection on WebMD. They provide the space for such a community to make a home. The point is more that it is not how most men behave online.

cbuss replied to counterso's response:
Maybe a post was deleted, it sounded like the gentlemen was simply asking if anyone knew why he was experiencing a shortage of available injectable Test-Cyp at local pharmacies.

For which, a mbr, responded about raw material shortages. I don't know if such shortages are true, but, I'm a man who needs a few "controversial" meds to live a fully functional life. Clearly knowing nothing of counterso's situation, I do have a pet peeve when those fortunate enough to live comfortably witout certain meds almost talk offense to others standing up for a right to get a med that just makes them like everyone else.

I doubt anyone would react negatively to an insulin shortage, and I apoligize ahead of time if posts were deleted to throw my ooff track here, but these shortages are part of the cost of these enormous law suits every time a med has some side effect. Dr's may need to discuss pros and cons better, but huge pain has been caused by hysteria over meds that if Rx'd and used properly can really lead to a better life, myself being one.

counterso replied to cbuss's response:
No posts have been deleted. Supply chain issues are not the same as layman's health suggestions, which was the point I was making. It has nothing to do with the content of the drug. For someone outside the pharmacy supply chain to have an answer would be strange, so WebMD wasn't a useful place to ask about supply chain, since most content here passes for advice.

It would be a different question if someone were looking for an alternative to injectable testosterone to mitigate symptoms in the urologic system. Urology is very specific, and is not a 100% substitute for the broader topic of men's health, which has its own forums. The body's testosterone production is a urologic issue, but that wasn't the question.

I apologize that my original response was curt.

erotic1 responded:
This original post was from 2 years ago but the shortage is still happening. Every few months none of the pharmacies in my area have the 10cc or 1cc bottles. It's a nightmare. It makes me crazy that I can go on the street and by 10cc's any where for $30-45 per bottle and online from 200 illegal suppliers for $25 per 10cc bottle but I cant get it legally with a prescription from Wallgreens or CVS. The 10cc bottles are easier to come across then the 1cc bottles but of course insurance will only pay for 30 day supply and 10cc's is more then 30 days for most everyone. I might just have to order a half kilo of testosterone powder from China and make it myself. This is crazy.

counterso replied to erotic1's response:
Buying off the black market and ordering illegally from other countries is extremely risky for numerous reasons. Talk to your doctor about the issues at your local pharmacy. Also contact your congressional representatives.

The root cause is probably excessive overuse of T supplementation by people who have no real need to access this therapy, due to blind popularity and thorough misunderstanding of hormone therapy in general.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

What is this hard "vein" and swelling on my penis?
Veins in your penis will usually have a blue color, but sometimes you may have what looks like a "vein" appear that wasn't there before, ... More
Was this Helpful?
77 of 166 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.