Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
white bump on testicle
Anon_158017 posted:
Hi everyone,
a couple days ago i found a small white bump on my testicles. It is right on the middle where there seems to be a line of skin that runs down the length of the scrotum.
The bump looks allot like a pimple even though its not painful at all. I thought it could have been at the begging so i applied some antibacterial cream on it. Its been a couple of days now and there has been no change. The skin around the bump is a little rough, maybe from the cream i applied.
It has no fluid in it, no pain and it hasn't changed so i am discarding Herpes, i also had a test in the past and i was negative and have had no sexual partners since.
Im starting to think that it could be a sebacous gland that has gone hay wire, i have many other little white bumps on my testicles from hair folicles and other sebacous glands but not nearly as notorious or protruding as this one. The shape is perfect round, has the same white color as a pimple but as i mention is hard.
I have looked at pictures of HPV and they seem iregular in shape and textureized and not pearly white. From this description what would you think it is?
I cant honestly say when it appeared.

counterso responded:
First, it is UNSAFE to put antibiotic cream anywhere near your genitals!

Second, you can't see your testicles, so I assume you mean your scrotum. The white bump is most likely either an ingrown hair or a clogged oil gland.

If you squeeze it, it is likely to hurt, and can cause scarring if you really damage it. If it's a hair you can liberate it will go away. If it's the clogged sebaceous gland it most likely is, some coal tar shampoo (usually for dandruff, like T-Gel) for several days is probably the safest way to deal with it.

If it does start to hurt, if it gets bigger, or it simply doesn't go away after a week or two, it would be smart to go to the doctor to have them clear it so it doesn't become a cyst in your skin.

sie7e replied to counterso's response:
Yes, i mean scrotum. I realize that now, thanks. I have been looking at pictures online and it seems to look most like a clogged sebaceous gland. Im going to try to use and antidandruff shampoo.
I realize that i shouldnt use a topical antibiotic on my genital are a now.
Recalling, before i noticed it i had been working out allot. My genitals always seem to sweat more than the res tof my body. Im going to try to go with your advice, i also read online that aplying a heat pack to the genitals may allow the sebum to return to a liquid form and be absorbed, but this doesnt sound safe. Another was to drink plenty of water to help moisturize and reinvegorate skin.
How long should i wait before going to the doctor?

counterso replied to sie7e's response:
The area is oilier than you probably think, so soapy cleanup after workout helps keep skin from getting clogged. Powder can also help in that regard. Heat packs are probably not going to be of significant help, because you're not going to keep a heat pack there 24/7, so as soon as you take it away it will be as it is now.

Working out you should be drinking plenty of water anyway. The way to tell how much is by looking at the characteristics of your urine. It should be pale yellow and clear. If it is dark or odorous, you are not getting enough water.

If it is improving, you probably don't need to see the doctor. If it hardens, or starts to hurt, or simply doesn't continue to go away, after two weeks it may be worth a brief visit to make sure it does not become infected or calcify into a cyst.

It's not really a urology-only issue. Any GP or dermatologist can help you with a skin irritation.

An_243811 responded:
I had something like this a few years back. My wife said it was a sebaceous cist, and suggested I got to the doctor to get it lanced....no way.

I ended up squeezing at it for a week or so, until I popped it. It came back maybe a week later, but by then the skin was already broken from the time before, and I popped it again. The 2nd time I got all of it out, and it hasn't come back since.

counterso responded:
This is most likely a very common irritation of a sebaceous gland, yes. Don't squeeze it. And you CANNOT put antibiotic cream on your genitals! The best you can do is to use some strong shampoo intended for dandruff, something made with coal tar like T-Gel, to help clear up your skin. It could also be an ingrown hair, which you may be able to carefully liberate. If it hardens or gets bigger (or painful), you may see a dermatologist to remove it before it has a chance to turn into a scar.

chrishaaansen replied to counterso's response:
I had the same problems you had a couple of months ago. I had two hard white lumps on my testicles,one the the size of my thumbnail,it was like a third testicle!! they were not sore unless I squeezed them so I passed no need of them for almost a year because I was nervous about getting my sack examined and I knew they were not STD's because I reviewed many website. Any ways in the end, I visited the doctor and he put my mind at rest,they are completely harmless. Unfortunately they were an awful eye sore so i got a simple procedure to remove them. Doc numbed my sack with an injection and removed them with a scalpel!!!....Do not worry its not as bad as it sounds, couldn't feel a thing and didn't have to watch it. In fact I started laughing when he put the needle in it was that ticklish. So if your comfortable with it let it be its not unhealthy but don't be afraid to get it removed either. Hope this is helpful for who ever is reading it.

dpkjry replied to chrishaaansen's response:
Hello there

I have got the same issue i guess but the lumps are 4 in count i was too very worried but your post acted as a kind o relief to me how ever i have not yet consulted any doctor yet ya but a few months ago i tried to put a cut on that lump and tried to squeeze it and notice a very hard and white coloured chalk kind of paste coming out.

Please let me know whether my case and your's is identical and as the lumps are very small is it gonna effect my health in future if i decides to stay with them on my bladder.

Thank you

counterso replied to dpkjry's response:
Didn't I say not to squeeze them! That causes problems. Yes, same thing DPKJRY, and you need to go to the doctor to take care of them. They're infected, that's why you get the white substance. A low grade infection for a long period of time is not healthy. Do not go cutting your skin yourself or you may get a different and worse infection. Your regular GP can take care of this, or a dermatologist. No need to see a urologist specifically.

dpkjry replied to counterso's response:
Okhey i know not to squeez them but dat was done before i came across this post nd meanwhile m suffering with psoriasis too nd every weekend i goes for an routine checkup with the dermatologist does psoriasis got any thing to do with this.

Thnx

counterso replied to dpkjry's response:
Yes, surely psoriasis has something to do with it. Mention your concern to the same dermatologist who is checking you routinely. It's all skin, no matter what part of your body.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Diagnosed with BXO (balanitis xerotica obliterans) in May 2011. I had a very sever case and had 4 surgeries and was in the hospital for 4 weeks.

Helpful Tips

Skin burning in my left waist area at belt level
Does any professional know about a condition with symptoms of skin burning in my left waist area at pants belt level? I have had this for ... More
Was this Helpful?
43 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.